Towing with a New Yorker???

I have a few question for you fellow Chrysler Enthusiasts...

I have a '89 New Yorker with a 3.0 and a Overdrive tranny. I recently purchased a Class II Hitch for towing around my trailer and bike. The trailer weights about 250lbs and the bike is about 600lbs.

Can I successfully tow my bike and trailer with my vehicle or will I burn out the tranny? Should I install an oil cooler? Any other recommendations??

Thank you,

Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

The fragile A604 transmission in your car will almost certainly reward your efforts with a rapid and expensive burndown.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Heh. :-)

He didn't say how often he was planning to tow it, Dan.

Jesse, if your towing consists of an hours' drive 4 times a year on level ground, with the addition of a trans cooler and _gentle_ accelleration, your probably going to be OK. But if you like going out every weekend up into the hills and gassing it on the 5 mile 6% incline to camp, then forget it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt