2006 Mustang GT grinding noise (transmission??)

After two months of waiting I got my new 2006 Mustang GT a couple of weeks ago. It is a _manual transmission_, and from day one I am hearing a grinding noise under certain conditions that makes me very uncomfortable. These are my observations:

The noise can be heard:

1) appears to come from the transmission. 2) can be heard from inside the car or the outside (from underneath?). 3) *only* when the engine is cold. 4) *every* time the engine is cold. 5) at 1800-1900 rpms. 6) whether the car is stationary or in motion. 7) in neutral with clutch depressed or not 8) in any gear whith the clutch depressed or not

The noise goes away after the engine warms up. The noise sounds like gears slightly touching either another gear or something massive, it is not a rattling noise or something that vibrates freely.

The car is at the dealer for the past 4 days now, and still they do not know what is the cause of this. Reading this newsgroup and other web sites I have not found any description of a similar issue. I was wondering if anybody had a similar experience, or suggestion on what to ask the dealer to look at.

Thanks for your time.

Paolo Bellutta

Reply to
bellutta

If it make the noise in gear with the clutch in at a dead stop, it has nothing to do with the transmission. Can you feel it in the shift lever?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Call "Lemon Law" and get a different car.

Reply to
SVTKate

No, no feeling at all in the shift lever.

Paolo

Reply to
bellutta

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1127925229.507876.247560 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Like Big Al says... if it does this sitting still, and #8... that rules out the trans. It isnt turning.

And judging from the OTHER factors, it isnt the clutch or pilot, either.

That leaves the engine.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Or a catalytic converter or muffler.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That makes sense.

Glad you rule me out ;-) (I think I know what you are referring to, just trying to make a joke).

OK, I just picked it up from the dealer after they had the car for 4 days. The noise is gone, but the mechanic said he did not do anything to the car! The only two differences between the times I hear the noise and when I don't are:

1) I was starting the engine with the AC on. 2) the weather has turned very hot in the Los Angeles area for the past few days.

Next time I hear the noise I will test if by turning the AC off the noise goes away. It would definitely make sense since the pressure in the compressor would rise.

I will keep you guys posted.

Paolo

Reply to
bellutta

I think I can rule this out. It is not a rattling noise, like a vibration of something loose or part of the exhaust touching the body. It is definitely a grinding noise, like a gear touching something massive.

Paolo

Reply to
bellutta