2001 Neon Broken rear spring? Could this be possible?

I have a 2001 Chrysler Neon with the Driver rear tire riding extremely low compared to normal. In general, the second generation Neons has a high riding rear (even with the weight of subs + amps).

I had recently removed all the stereo equipment from the trunk, as well as the carpeting and spare tire, due to a water leak in the trunk, and have yet to replace everything. Since then I noticed the other day that it is really low on the driver rear, and appears to have no suspension give.

I thought it could have been contributed to the warm damp weather, suddenly turning fairly cold and freezing. But this would not attribute to the lowered height.

Any ideas?

I have been unable to look at it closely (due to illness) but am going to pull it into the garage to look at it in the coming days.

If this is a broken spring (which I could not understand how), is it difficult to change? I have most of the standard tools in my garage.

Thank you,

Mike mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Reply to
mike

Now I am confused. I checked the car visually without removing the rear tire, and it appears to have returned to the normal ride height. The only difference is today it has returned to a reasonable milder temp outside (-10'C or so). Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

Mike mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

mike wrote:

Reply to
mike

Cold weather may have prevented shock absorber from returning to it's normal position. When warmer weather returns, I would suggest having the shocks checked, and replaced if necessary. Especially if they are the originals.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Thank you for the response. I thought the shock freezing too, however, it does not explain how the car ended up at that ride hight. It did not have any weight in the trunk (actually had less then normal).

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@sisna.com wrote:

Reply to
mike