Improving the ride in a 2010 Civic coupe

I have a 2010 Civic coupe (bought it last July). The ride is firmer than I would like, certainly firmer than the 1995 Civic that I used to own.

Would replacing the struts with new struts from some other manufacturer improve the ride at all? Or how about just reducing tire inflation pressure?

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

What is the current tire pressure? If it's above what the owner's manual specifies, you could lower it to that--- but no less. Too low will create heat build up which increases blow out risk, reduces tire life, and impairs handling.

Also, you might try a softer riding tire. Check the big online tire dealer or mfr websites for info on what yours is and what options are available.

Reply to
Red Butler

...make that what the door sticker specifies...

Reply to
Red Butler

"Steven L." wrote in news:tKSdnehSOousAu_QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's because the shocks in the '95 were WORN.

Maybe you're just older than you used to be.

Reply to
Tegger

Red Butler wrote in news:ikui17$due$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Does his car have 40 or 50 series tires? they can give a rougher ride. he might try moving from a low profile tire to a higher profile tire(requiring a smaller rim size),although I doubt that will do what he wants.

Changing tires/wheels or struts and rear shocks is expensive,and a crapshoot.(the chances of failure are greater than the chances of success)

Is the car "stock" or has it been lowered/modified? Lowered cars have a stiffer ride,less suspension travel. Why did he buy the car in the first place if he doesn't like the ride?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The auto dealer I bought the car from was in a locale where the roads were better.

So when I took the car for a test drive, it seemed to ride O.K.

But when I drove it back to my home town, where the roads are peppered with potholes everywhere, the ride seems worse than I remember it being during the test drive.

The suggestion about switching to a different brand of tire is a good one. I hadn't thought of that. I had assumed that all tires of the right size for my car would ride the same.

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

"Steven L." wrote in news:pr-dnY0v_bdqeu7QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

If it's pothole-type disruptions you're trying to minimize, you may find tire-changing won't do it. Ride is more a function of shocks and springs than tires.

If you really can't stand the ride, you're better off to trade the car in on an Accord.

Reply to
Tegger