2004 300M Speed limiter?

Probably. Do a search on the 300M Enthusiasts Club forums

- they discuss the subject there almost constantly - what the limits are for the various options, how to defeat or raise it, etc. The limit is set at different speeds for different options packages, and IIRC, the Special does not have one, and maybe European versions, so - yeah - I assume most 04's have a limit. Usually the limit will be set right at the speed rating of the tires that come on the particular unit (or, probably more correctly, they only put tires on at the factory that are rated for the limit that is programed into that particular unit). Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my adddress with the letter 'x')

Reply to
Bill Putney

Not sure about this car but some speed limiters are put in place because the car was only designed to go that fast. On some Ford products the speed limiter is in place not only because of tires but the torque convertor implodes at higher RPM's, the drive / half shafts are not properly balanced for higher speeds, the brakes are not designed to do their job at that speed. The same car in a sport edition had no limiter because these under the hood issues were addressed in this more expensive sport model.

Reply to
Steve Stone

I just have to ask: How do you make something explode inward (implode) by rev'ing it faster? A new law of physics like antigravity? 8^)

Bill Putney

This is what happens when you rely on matter-antimatter reactions for propulsion, and the matter injectors get clogged.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I **HATE** when that happens!!

Bill Putney

"Bill Putney" wrote: > Daniel J. Stern wrote: > > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Bill Putney wrote: > > > > >   >>>On some Ford products the speed limiter is in > place not only because >   >>>of tires but the torque convertor implodes at > higher RPM's... > > > > >  >>I just have to ask: How do you make something explode > inward (implode) >  >>by rev'ing it faster? A new law of physics like > antigravity? 8^) > > > > > > This is what happens when you rely on matter-antimatter > reactions for > > propulsion, and the matter injectors get clogged. > > I **HATE** when that happens!! > > Bill Putney > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet > in my > adddress with the letter 'x')

I almost cried when I verified this for sure. I?ve had this car for about 2yrs now (bought it for my wife in May of ?03) and just recently bought her a new Jeep and decided it was time for me to ?take one for the team? and take the old car :) She said she couldn?t stand it any more. I?ve driven it over 100 on numerous occasions, but only for a few seconds at a time because I?ve never had radar detection or any kind of laser protection set up on it like I?m working on now. But when I took it up near KCI airport to knock the cob webs out of it and got it up to 100MPH and the gas shut off, I could feel my heart breaking! I knew I was in for a challenge. My question is this: can I simply get the ECU ?re-programmed,? or do I have to install a jack-legged contraption someone put together in their garage like I?ve heard about that creates a ?loop? electronically in the computer when you flip a switch and cuts your speedo in half (consequently also keeping half the miles off your car and making it illegal as hell)? I think for safety?s sake, the limiter is put in place more for the brakes than anything. The suspension on that vehicle would be the next concern, but it, too, should be safe up to at least 130mph. The tires that come on the standard model like mine are "T-rated," which means they are tested with simulated road force by rolling them on a barrel for over 2hrs at 118mph, and that is the limit at which they begin to fail. I sell tires for a living. First time posting here.

Reply to
Jerokee2000

"Jerokee2000" wrote: > I almost cried when I verified this for sure. I've had this > car for about 2yrs now (bought it for my wife in May of '03) > and just recently bought her a new Jeep and decided it was > time for me to 'take one for the team' and take the old car > :) She said she couldn't stand it any more. I've driven it > over 100 on numerous occasions, but only for a few seconds at > a time because I've never had radar detection or any kind of > laser protection set up on it like I'm working on now. But > when I took it up near KCI airport to knock the cob webs out > of it and got it up to 100MPH and the gas shut off, I could > feel my heart breaking! I knew I was in for a challenge. My > question is this: can I simply get the ECU 're-programmed,' or > do I have to install a jack-legged contraption someone put > together in their garage like I've heard about that creates a > 'loop' electronically in the computer when you flip a switch > and cuts your speedo in half (consequently also keeping half > the miles off your car and making it illegal as hell)? > I think for safety's sake, the limiter is put in place more > for the brakes than anything. The suspension on that vehicle > would be the next concern, but it, too, should be safe up to > at least 130mph. The tires that come on the standard model > like mine are "T-rated," which means they are tested with > simulated road force by rolling them on a barrel for over 2hrs > at 118mph, and that is the limit at which they begin to fail. > I sell tires for a living. First time posting here- sorry if I > took up so much of the board- you guys are a trip. I guess we > can post pics here too?

Sorry, you guys know I meant it cut off at 110MPH!

Jeremy

Reply to
Jerokee2000

According to my reading on the 300M forums (link given in an earlier post in this thread), Kenne Bell is the only company the experienced

300M owners trust to reprogram their ECM's, and they can modify or remove the speed limiter with a signed waiver. Do a search on "Kenne Bell" on the 300M Club forums, and you'll have some reading to do.

I was thinking the limit on the standard LH cars was 118 mph (I saw where you corrected your post to 110, but I thought it was 118), but I could be wrong. Anyway - do your reading - you'll find the answers. The limits are based on tires. AFAIK, the European M's have no limiter and have essentially the same brakes (possibly different pads).

At least one guy there does use the speed ratio device, but he has the Kenne Bell programing and no speed limiter - so that's not why he uses it. He has the ratio device because he has special gearing (Pro-Prowler I think) and it actually corrects his speedo reading (see

Bill Putney

Correction - he has G-Force Stage II gears:

Bill Putney

Gotta be.... I've had the wife's 93 over 110 without hitting a limiter. Can't say I've ever passed 118, but definitely beyond 110. Once. Years ago. On a very empty, very straight, very long country road on a clear bright day.

Reply to
Steve

This is a curious discussion. Never knew such things existed at such low speeds.

In European cars I have only heard of the 250 km/h (155 mph) limit in some cars such as Merc and BMW. This is voluntary no doubt so that largely untrained drivers don't kill themselves even quicker.

A few years ago I hit a nominal 120 mph in my 1993 2-litre Merc 190E, admittedly taking a while to get there.

With my newer 3.2 l car I can get there a lot quicker, of course. :-)

DAS Alive and living in western Europe.

Dori A Schmetterling

We don't have the autobahn "over here".

Bill Putney

We didn't ALWAYS used to be such "safety wussies" in the US. My '69 Dodge speedometer goes to 150 mph, as did many muscle cars of the era and it was something of a bragging point in those times. With the right gearing, those cars can *bury* the needle, too. But many were geared for drag racing and top out at 110-120 mph, limited by the redline of the engine and lack of an overdrive gear ;-)

OTOH, its hard to think of any road within 150 mile radius of where I live that I'd feel comfortable driving over 100mph on anymore. Too many cars (I should say 'too many MINIVANS'), too many drivers on cellphones.

Reply to
Steve

Whaddaya mean? I have been on lots of wide roads with central reservation in the US. The surface may sometimes leave something to be desired, but exceeding hundred (mph) in a modern car should not be too difficult, assuming a quiet road (and a will to take a legal risk). Indeed, I remember reaching 92 mph or more some years back in Pennsylvania. There was still some 'oomph' left but the car's road-holding capability was reaching its limit on that road.

How do I remember the speed? A couple of gentlemen from the local constabulary took issue with my speed given it was a 65 mph zone and handed me a ticket ... :-)

In Britain we don't have 'Autobahns' either and our motorways seem to be a touch narrower than the German ones, but we can still hit the ton (when noone's looking).

Sigh DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Reply to
mic canic

I'm guessing that not all dealers will be willing to do that flash (or may require a waiver) for liability concerns.

Bill Putney

Texas and Montana ;-)

Reply to
NJ Vike

I live right in the middle of Texas- and as I said, not a road within

100 miles of me still feels "comfortable" for those kinds of speeds. There are plenty within 200 miles (if I go west), but its just too populous around here to drive the way I (sometimes :-p ) did 30 years ago :-(
Reply to
Steve

Reply to
mic canic