WJ Speed Limiter

My S.O. has a WJ Limited with the 235 (or so) HP V8 in it... Chrysler had the never to put a speed limiter on the damn thing... At 115 mph, it cuts the gas until you have slowed down a few mph and then lets you have the gas back... Up until the gas is pulled, it is still accelerating acceptably, so I want to get rid of this speed limiter (she doesn't notice the limiter since she rarely drives above 90)... How would one go about doing this? Easy or a pain in the ass?

Reply to
Grumman-581

L.W.(ßill)

Why do you need to exceed 115mph??? And where???

Reply to
TJim

Why? The WJ is not built for that speed and will float. Ever seen a WJ that rolled at that speed? They aren't pretty.

Reply to
DougW

Well Doug, we must assume that this poster intends to do the responsible thing here and "slam" his vehicle, get low profile wide tires, and replace much of his chrome with gold plate. That should make it quite a bit more stable. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Wouldn't the WJ store the fact that it has been driven past the original limiter and possibly cause issues with warranty?

Wow, 115 mph in a Grand Cherokee even with good aftermarket shocks and tires and even lowered an inch or so has got to be in the same category as playing marbles with sidewinders. I ain't no speed Nazi, but there is a tiny difference between the GC and a Corvette safety wise.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Somebody has to star in those amazing crash videos....

Tom

Reply to
Tom Eller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Need? Probably not... Want? Definitely... I think the main thing is that I don't like running into artificial limits imposed upon me to protect me from myself... At 115, the WJ handles acceptably... Not much in the way of wind noise either... My XJ will make you deaf at 85 thanks to all the nice sharp corners on it -- the aerodynamics of a brick... My XJ goes offroad, her WJ stays on pavement most of the time and the few times it does go offroad, it is in areas without trees so that she doesn't get her car scratched up... My XJ on the other hand has kind of gotten to the point of being like an old pair of sneakers -- not the greatest looking, but comfortable...

Texas...

Reply to
Grumman-581

No, Bill, I've never been one who was concerned that much about the acceleration of a vehicle... I like top speed... The most I could ever get out of my Porsche was 164... The most I could get out of my RX-7 was 134... My XJ can do around 100 with a good wind behind it (speedo only goes to 85, but the GPS goes a lot faster)...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Because I hate artificially imposed speed limits on vehicles... If the engine will not put out any more horsepower so that it can go faster, that is one thing... To artificially limit my speed is unacceptable to me...

Reply to
Grumman-581

It was 115 with everything stock... It handled fairly smoothly... Of course, I wasn't going around curves, but straight line cruising is acceptable...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Reply to
TJim

Why don't you try cruising at 100 mph next time, instead of 115? Take things a little slower, smell the flowers, that sort of thing. Whatever is waiting for you at the other end of the trip can just wait a little longer. ;o)

If you don't actually need to go 120 mph, but yet you can't stand the idea that the vehicle is "artificially limited" so you can't, then you have a psychological problem.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Too slow... Boring...

If wanting something that you don't *need* is the definition of a psychological problem, then I suspect that all of us on this newsgroup suffer from the 'problem'... How many of us really *need* extreme off-road capabilities in our Jeep? Do we *need* to go off-road or is is mainly that we *want* to do it?

Reply to
Grumman581

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You misunderstood what I meant entirely. Would you actually go 120 mph if the Jeep were not "artificially limited?" I suspect that you would not. Therefore the existence of a limit is more of a psychological problem for you than a physical limitation. I'll bet that if the limiter were set at

140 mph and you heard about it that would bother you too. Heck, if it were set at 200, you just couldn't stand the idea of a speed limiter on your Jeep, dammit!

This is a well known psychological problem. The cure is to get laid more. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That's why I personally wouldn't try it. Have managed to thread my way thru a few suddenly appearing clusters of antelope, deer, etc. in an RX-7 and Porsche at high speed. However in my ZJ I am not even sure I could move the power seat back far enough quickly enough to kiss my *ss goodbye at those kind of speeds. Even on straight stretches, the little buggers just seem to want to pop up without warning and say "hi".

PS. You do know that if you have an Audi, Mercedes, Jag, etc. it is also probably speed limited....

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Not sure... It has the 17" ones that came on the WJ Limited... Don't remember the rating on them and the vehicle in not in town today -- she has it over in New Orleans...

Reply to
Grumman581