rev limiter question - 307 Hdi DTurbo

Hello all, Does anyone know at what RPM the rev limiter is set to on a DTurbo? On the odd occasions that I've floored the throttle in low gears,1st & 2nd (at a traffic light grand prix, LOL!) the limiter has appeared to cut in at a little over 4000 RPM. As the rev counter is not red lined until just over

5000 RPM, I'm wondering if the limiter is set to cut in too early. Or is this normal?

Steve

Reply to
Crazy Aizy

infact i know the 406HDi rev limiter cuts in @ 4950 rpm reaching that revs does not make your car very fast in pulling away as the HDi engine has its typical max torgue @ ( correct me if wrong)

2250rpm going from 4000 rpm to 4950 might take more time then one would expect

so next time your in launch control at the traffic light shift gear early a max 3000 rpm, and you find your Dturbo among the quickest to leave pole position :-)

Reply to
Marc

I don't know about the torque, but I believe the modern diesels produce their maximum BHP @ 4000 rpm. I always believed that you have to change around 4000 rpm to get the quickest accelarations. You are right about the time it takes to go from 4000 rpm up to the redline...

Kristof

"Marc" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Kristof

Hi,

Max torque is around 2000RPM. This has not really changed since the old days of Diesel units ;-)

I assume the 307 HDi DTurbo (a model we don't have here, in France) is built with the 2.0 110HP unit (DW10ATED ?), from my experience with a 206 HDi 90HP (DW10T) the engine works great between 2000 and 3000RPM, then is sluggish until 4000RPM. I've never pushed that harder, and anyway gears are so long on that car you don't really need to.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Er, if you're trying to make fast progress, you shouldn't be going anywhere near the redline in a Diesel car !

The limiter itself isn't adjustable, and it can't be set "to cut in too early". You just experienced power loss over 4000rpm - perfectly normal for a Diesel car.

Reply to
Nom

Yes I'm talking about the 2.00L 110BHP turbo model. Let's put it this way. In second gear, the revs build up very quickly (for a diesel) and hit 4000 in no time at all, then it just holds back and won't rev any higher even though the car feels to have plenty of power in reserve. Maybe it's just my imagination but it feels that it could easily and freely hit the indicated red line without distress or severe power loss and that the limiter could be set a bit higher to reap the full benefits of the superb HDi engine. If the engine is limited to 4000, why have the rev counter red-lined at 5000+? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a 'boy racer' but occasionally I do enjoy putting the car through it paces and giving the petrol heads in their BMW's etc a run for their money!

Reply to
Crazy Aizy

Then change up!

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Yep, then you change up a gear.

That's because you should be changing up a gear !

It has zero power in reserve !

It's your imagination. 4000rpm is as far as it goes.

It's not limited to 4000 ? If you keep the pedal to the floor, it *will* rev higher, but very slowly.

Because that's where the limiter is ! Try it yourself down a big hill.

The 4000rpm power peak and the rev limiter are two completely different things, and aren't related.

Reply to
Nom

Thanks for clearing that up.

Reply to