2004 Chrysler Sebring problems - can someone help!

I just recently bought a used 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX. I bought the CarFax report and everything seemed fine and so I bought it. I have had the car for about a month and in the last couple of weeks I have been hearing this clicking sound in the engine when the car is running. It appears to be getting louder and louder....people in the drive-thru ask me to turn my car off so they can hear me!!!! It is really embarassing especially since I just got it! Anyway, here recently in the last day or so, when I am sitting idle with my engine running (like in a drive-thru) it is starting to shimmy some and feels almost like it is going to quit.....Does anybody out there have any idea, what this would be? The car only has a drivetrain warranty on it because the miles went over. Does anybody have any suggestions??????

Reply to
Heather

First it would help if you stated the exact type of engine in the car, the milage on it would be of interest.

An uninformed guess would be valve noise, it also could be many other things not covered by a powertrain warrenty. use something like a cut off broomstick , one end to the ear, other to various engine locations to try and pin down the location of the noise

Reply to
Mr.X

It is a 2.4 liter, 4 cylinder engine and it has about 50,000 miles on it. Yesterday evening it started to smell like oil??? I didn't smell it this morning when I got in it to come to work, but I did yesterday....I don't know what is wrong, or even if there is anything wrong....it could be normal. The sound seems to be coming from the passenger side close to the dash and underneath - if that makes any sense.....does that help?

Reply to
Heather

Reply to
Ralph Shapiro

If your Sebring has the 2.7L engine, and the oil has not been changed at regular intervals, it could have the infamous *sludging* problem. This can cause several engine problems that could generate noise.

Since you still have the drive train warranty, it might be a good idea to have it checked by the dealer.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson