3.3 intermittant start problem

I've replaced the ASD and fuel pump (and ASD) relays and also the coolant temperature sensor but the problem is still there. The van will crank but not start, usually in the morning. I have to turn the ignition completely off and then start it again. It usually starts then. Don't know what else to check. Both the fuel rail and fuel pump were replaced this summer. Although the problem began before I replaced both. (The rail was leaking and I thought this might be causing the problem, but after replacing the rail, the problem was still there)

Any other ideas are welcomed. Could it be the ECM ? Might have to take it in and get it diagnosed, but was trying to trouble shoot it myself.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs

Sorry, it's a 1993 3.3 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Nick

Reply to
ncs

Reply to
maxpower

It went out on the way home from vacation this summer in North Carolina. Had it towed to a dealer and they replaced it along with the fuel filter and some kit they said I needed that goes along with the pump.

Reply to
ncs

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the response. Usually, after it starts, it's good for the whole day, so starting when warm or after the two key on's is not a problem. I did notice that the fuel pressure doesn't appear to be as strong as when the key is on. I checked this, although not with a pressure gauge. I depressed the fuel pressure check valve on the fuel rail. The pressure is definitely not as strong as with the key on. I'll check it with a pressure gauge next. But, with the key on, shouldn't the pressure build and then it should start ? I'm puzzled why I need to turn the ignition completely off and then back on to get it to start. Anything else that you can think of for me to check ?

thanks again, Nick

Reply to
ncs

Reply to
maxpower

ok, thanks, I'll give it a try. If the fuel is draining back, what would I need to check ? I don't smell any fuel, so I don't think there is a leak. I feel like I'm on the right track and thanks for your help. It'll be nice if I can resolve this problem.

thanks again, Nick

Reply to
ncs

It could be draining down thru a leaky injector, if you live in a cold climate area you may not notice a problem from a flooded cylinder becuase it needs that extra fuel to start the engine, thats why i asked earlier, at least i thought i asked, about how does the engine start after a hot soak

Reply to
damnnickname

Engine starts better in the warmer weather. Seems the problem gets worse the colder it gets. That's why some thought it might be the coolant temperature sensor. Any way to check for those leaky injectors ?

I tried the key-on's 3 times that maxpower suggested, but that didn't make a difference. Alldata says the fuel pressure should 53 with the key on and around 48 with it off. So I think I'll get the fuel pressure gauge and test it.

Keep coming with the suggestions, we might be narrowing it down.

thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs

Reply to