300M Tire mileage? And what replacement?

What mileage have people got out of the original tires on a 300M? We have an '02 model with 42K miles, and it looks as though there's a good bit of life left in them still, but I can't really estimate how much.

The original tires on our '96 Stratus lasted about 50K miles, if that's any guide to my driving habits.

And what replacements have people used? Are there better all-round tires than the originals?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Do you have the Goodyears or the Michelins?

Reply to
Art

Michelins. I should have mentioned that the car has the Performance Handling Package.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

There are ALWAYS better tires than the OEM's can come on new cars. If you got 42K on your tires, you have done very well--I did not do quite that well on my '01 300M. For replacements, there are lots of choices--I used Michelin MXV4's and was very pleased. For choices (you don't have to buy your tires there), visit tirerack.com.

BTW--I would STRONGLY recommend against Continental Tires--the ContiContacts on my 300C have such poor traction even on the front wheels that IMHO, they are dangerous. How they were ever considered mud and snow is beyond me.

MikeSp

MikeSp

Want a great long wearing tire; the Michlin HydroTread.

Want a great all around tire also good on Snow, wet and dry, good handling, quiet and smooth riding tire; the Goodyear Tripletread.

Want a great all around tire also good on Snow and Ice, but not as quiet or smooth riding as the Tripletread, try the Goodyear Comforttread tire.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I agree about the Continental tires. I have them on my Expedition and can't wait until they wear out.

I have always have had either Michelin or Goodyear tires and they've both lasted for a long time and have always provided a nice ride.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I've been a Michelin fan for many years. Not just for tread life, but for the overall strength of the tires.

Reply to
Spam Hater

The M+S rating has nothing to do with traction. Any tire with more than 25% airspace in the tread pattern can wear this rating.

A similarly poor indication of a tire's performance is the traction rating...A-B-C. This rating is tied only to straightline breaking performance test results.

I know; it makes no sense, but that's the way the rules are written. Maybe it's time we deman changes to the UTOG system.

My 2 cents.

Reply to
RCSnyder