91 GC Vacuum?

What is the typical vacuum spec for a 91 grand caravan? My scantool read around 8.8 - 9.0 inches at idle. Does this seem low?

Reply to
dprkk

You have to have at least 17 inches of vacuum at idle or the map sensor thinks the engine is under a load and dumps allot of fuel causing a very rich mixture at idle Start with checking the EGR valve

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Glenn. I just bought a scantool and am studying the Haynes "OBD2" techbook. I don't have any DTC's at the moment and the car seems to be operatring ok, but I did notice that the vacuum seemed low. I will start testing the EGR system.

Ken

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
dprkk

What PID is giving you 8.8-9.0 inches, is it MAP or vacuum?

What is the MAP voltage?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It is definitely vacuum. I didn't note the MAP voltage but I will check it all out tomorrow.

aarcuda69062 wrote:

Reply to
dprkk

If you are only reading this off of a scan tool you better connect a mechanical vacuum gauge to the intake manifold. If you are going to connect it to the map sensor line you have to tee into it and not disconnect it. If you only have 8 inches of vacuum at idle the engine should be running like crap and possibly pushing black smoke out of the tailpipe. Your scan tool is probably reading Barometric reading. Take a look at the sensor value. I bet the sensor voltage is around 1.4volt at idle

Reply to
maxpower