93 Plymouth acclaim

Hi gentelmen, I have a skipping or bucking problem.As I accelerate and when I try to keep a certain speed mostly around 40 to 50.It stalls at least twice a day while driving. Replaced cap and rotor,plugs,wires,fuel filter,air filter.I have also added an injector cleaner. I do not have a factory manual.Any ideas would surely be helpful.

Reply to
Mo66

Cap and rotor???? Don't tell me, let me guess.... 3.0 litre Mitsubishi Engine perhaps????

And, wait for it, the A604 4-speed automatic transmission?

At somewhere between 40 to 50 is a transmission shift point. On my old acclaim, and on my cararvan - both of simialr vintage to yours, my transmissions do NOT like it if I try to maintain a steady speed of just above 60 kmh (oabout 40 MPH). I sold the Acclaim so I cannot comment further on it, but the Grand Caravan's transmisison handles this situation a whole lot better since it was rebuilt that it did before! Try pulling from "OD" to "3" and see if the problem is minimized. Also, if you have the button, press "O/D OFF" and see if that helps.

If your transmission in that Acclaim has not been rebuilt yet, then it is likely overdue. Another thing to check is the transmission computer. If there are little fins on the side, then you have a computer which is "flash" upgradeable. If this is the case, go to a dealer and have them upgrade the trans computer with the latest firmware.

Go to a good trans shop and have the transmission computer data read. The data in the computer can tell you if the tranny is starting to have problems. A GOOD trans shop will read the codes for free.

But that 3.0 litre mitsubishi is a piece of crap. I eventually sold my acclaim because of it. Mine used to run rough - sometimes, and it literllay PUKED oil from every engine seal. Fill up the oil and check the gas was my motto.

The only thing I managed to do that ever helped that engine was to remove and touroughly clean the throttle body. It is realtively simple to remove. Once it is off, set it on a stack of old newspapers and then remove ALL the little bells and whistles on it. You will need a Torx driver to do this (or at least you did on mine). Go at it with a can of Throttle Body Cleaner (NOT Carb cleaner). Make sure you clean ALL the passageways and orofices.

When I took one of the little things off mine, there was a spring, and a conical brass part which were completely choked with thick black crud - so much so the parts would not even move.

Took me a couple of hours to clean it properly and reinstall. The motor ran a WHOLE LOT BETTER after that.

You also might want to check your engine codes as well. Google the FAQ on this newsgroup for code information. Note: You CAN read the engine codes yourself - you CAN NOT read the Transmission codes without the proper tool.

And when was the last time you replaced your O2 sensor???

Just some thoughts.

Reply to
NewMan