94 3.3L trans removal How?

94 Grand Caravan 3.3 Liter Automatic I am removing the tranny, but it is very tight , no clearance at the rear to move it away from the flywheel. I have taken out/in many of the 3.0liter trans with no such difficulty. Can anyone give me a clue about how to get that tranny away from the engine and down. I am using a decent tranny jack but the rear of the tranny is tight up against the frame.

Thanks. Larry

Reply to
Larry Starr

Are you supporting the engine as dictated in the steps in the factory service manual? (Are you even following the procedures in the manual or are you just unbolting stuff till it falls down?)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I kept the engine and trans supported. ( no manual) The transmission did come down finally. It had to roll counterclockwise and end with the pan flat on the jack. I guess it will go back together that way too although that is not a well balanced position as most of the weight is at the topside. I still wonder if removing the exhaust pipe that runs across the top of the Bellhousing would be any better.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Starr

That's the same thing I had to do with mine. It takes some finagling, but it finally goes in and out. It helped me to take the front motor/transmission mount all the way off.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds