94 Intrepid 3.5L AC refrigerant leak

Using UV leak detector, I have discovered an AC refrigerant leak from the low side service valve fitting. Can just this part be replaced?

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

Where is it leaking?

Usually these parts are either the valve is welded to the aluminum AC line or there is a nub that is welded to the AC line that the service valve is screwed onto.

If it is leaking from the weld, you have to replace the line.

If it is leaking from the valve - to - service line nub, you need to replace an O ring or washer or some such that is in there.

If it is leaking THROUGH the valve - ie: the shrader valve in the service valve - then you need to replace the washer that is in the plastic cap that screws onto the valve to keep dirt out of it. The shrader valve that is in the service valve is NOT expected to have a perfect seal, that is why the cap has a washer on it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

If the shrader valve is leaking you can replace that separately. The spring that maintains pressure on the seal my break and cause the freon to leak out at a fast rate. The only problem is if you cant get that valve from any place other then the dealer its gonna cost you about $80. Take a walk through a junk yard and pop one off.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks to all for feedback on this one. The plastic valve cover had been installed incorrectly (cross-threaded). I cleaned the plastic out of the threads of the valve and installed a new plastic cap and o-ring. The leaking has stopped.

Reply to
NowItsWhatever