94 LHS Intermittent Engine Cut-out

I have a very odd problem with my 94 LHS, 3.5L (as they all are). It runs fine below 1500 rpm, but above that, it cuts out erratically. It is not setting any codes. The dealer connected it to the diagnostic computer and they say the crank and cam sensors are getting un-synchronized and that is what it shutting it down. It shuts down for a a half a second, and then runs for maybe 2 seconds. It has never quit on me, but it's not really driveable either.

Timing belt looks great. I put in both sensors new, no change. Swapped computers with another LHS, the problem didn't move. I'm not sure what to do next.

Has anybody seen this before? The car's not worth much, so my attempts to fix it will be very limited. I like it, though, and I'd like to keep it. I have two 94's so I can test theories at will, if anybody's got one.

Reply to
Joe

A couple long shot thoughts since you have replaced both sensors and tried a new computer too: How good is your battery? Have you cleaned and checked all the grounds to make sure they are making good connection?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

If you've replaced both sensors, check wiring. Another (long shot) possiblity is that the torque convertor flex plate is cracked and the vibration is corrupting the crank position sensor reading (which reads slots in the flex plate).

Reply to
Steve

I agree that these are the most promising other possibilities. Thanks for the replies!

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
philthy

Already did, thanks. It's not that kind of a miss, though. It's like it shuts completely off for a full revolution, and then it goes again.

I found something else out: As I said in my original post, the diagnosis is the cam and crank sensors are getting out of sync, and it doesn't know what to do until it syncs back up. The FSM says it can only sync up on 1 or 4, which is kind of interesting. That way, if it gets lost, it might have to wait a while to start running again, which appears to be what I'm seeing.

Reply to
Joe