94 Voyager - no heater water

Greetings,

On my '94 Voyager 3.3v6 there is very little water going to the heater. I took the hose loose just below the control valve and water just trickles out. Is it possible for a water pump to lose capacity? I thought they usually work OK or not at all. Temp is midscale, engine doesn't seem hot.

Thanks,

gtb

Reply to
gtb

When you took this hose off, are you saying it just trickles out with the engine not running? If it were a water pump the engine would be overheating. Have you checked to see if there is a fault code 17 stored in the computers memory? Google how to check for codes.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I had a 1990 3.3L Caravan that had the valve near the firewall in the heater hose wear out and stay stuck closed. If I recall correctly, I was able to force it open and once I determined it was the problem, I purchased a replacement at the dealer. I am not sure if your vehicle has the same valve, but suspect that it may. Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

No fault codes. BTW what is code 17?

I took the hose loose ahead of the valve to make sure the valve was not at fault. There is low flow getting to the valve with engine running and warm.

Reply to
jvh75021

Code 17 is a stuck open thermostat. The most common problem for lack of heat on that vehicle is due to the blend air door rusting up in the housing. When you slide the control it seems as if the door is opening and closing but what really happens is the cable actually slides in the cable clamp. When you move the temp cable from cold to hot really fast and hard do you hear the door hitting on the housing?

Reply to
maxpower

Thermostat replaced recently, no heat before or after. Don't hear a door hitting the housing. Flow to core is regulated by a vacuum controlled valve on the firewall. The heater hoses are cold. Took line loose ahead of valve and only had a trickle of water flow out.

Reply to
gtb

That valve only closes when you select MAX AC, all other times it's full flow.

Which line? The one from the water pump or the one to the intake manifold?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
philthy

Manifold. At the firewall only the one connected to the valve was a little warm. Tracing it back it goes to manifold.

Reply to
gtb

Tried radiator flush and Berryman's. Shop says core is hard to access for replacement.

Reply to
gtb

Radiator flush won't work as you have no flow through the heater core. Remove both heater core hoses at the engine side and use a garden hose to flush out the heater core in both directions until the water runs clean.

Reply to
Mike

You won't see coolant stream from that one, it's the return from the heater core.

Check the flow from the other line (from the water pump), if you have flow there and none from the first, then something is plugged.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yep, DUH on me. I didn't trace the hose back. I assumed the valve would be in the source line. Also the line below the valve was warm and the other cold so I had two reasons to think I had the right one. After getting on top where I could see all the way down behind the engine I saw the real paths. The light bulb started coming on after I read the post above from aarcuda69062.

Since I am living in an apartment for the moment I might have some trouble finding a hose. Hate to use a car wash as they are high pressure, low volume....

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
gtb