94 Voyager - the rest of the story

I took the heater core hose that comes from the water pump (thru the metal pipe under exhaust manifold) loose at the firewall. There was no water coming from the pump. I also took loose the small hose at the thermostat that comes from the water pump as it was easiest to get to. I was able to blow back from the heater end and have water come out at the thermostat end of the hose. The top radiator hose gets warm and the gauge runs mid scale when the engine is warm. Just drove it

180 miles yesterday no overheating problems. Why can I blow back thru the pump but no water will flow to the heater?

BTW, I did have to have head gaskets replaced recently but heater problem was the same before and after. But the shop said there is no such thing as a weak water pump, it either works or it doesn't.

Reply to
gtb

This was with the engine running?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I don't know how the impeller is constructed on the Voyager water pump, but this would not be the first vehicle in which a plastic impeller would have come loose from the shaft, or completely exploded into pieces. That would leave things open for flow, but nothing to pump the water. Sound familiar?

Bill Putney

Yes. Maybe the impeller is loose or some blades are missing but there is enough flow for water to run through the radiator.

jh

Reply to
gtb