'94 Camry Transmission

I drive a 1994 Camry LE, with 117K miles on it and just recently started to have a problem with the transmission. I live in WI and since it has become cold my car will not shift easily from 3rd to 4th gear (or 4th and 5th i not 100% sure). I can cruise at 65 miles/hr for a couple of miles and the RPMs will keep increasing going up to 3600 or higher without shifting into the next gear. Its not like it hasnt had a chance to shift yet, for I gave it plenty of enough time and hit 60 mi/hr around 3000 rpms. I was wondering if this is solely because it is cold and the car has not warmed up yet or if there is a bigger problem with the transmission. Any advice or insights would be very much appreciated. -> A.R

Reply to
WisWinters

Sam

How often has the transmission and differential been serviced? If the car is cold it won't go into 4th until the trans is warm..should go into 3rd ok..

Reply to
ROBMURR

This is common; I don't know why. My '95 Tercel was the first Auto toy I ever owned, and it would wait until the engine reached a certain temp before making the leap into OD. Check the guage; I bet it starts to shift up when the temp guage hits the same point every time.

Reply to
HachiRoku

It is designed this way so that the trans will not try to go to overdrive while cold. I bet you park outside also. Takes a few minutes for trans fluid to go from

20 degrees to 200 degrees. You have 4 speeds..1,2,3,4th is your overdrive.
Reply to
ROBMURR

I actually do park in a garage, but when its 5 degrees out Im sure there is not much u can do.

Thank you all of you! this is very helpful and I am glad to know that this is fairly normal.

Reply to
WisWinters

Takes quite a bit longer. Because there is a heat exchanger in the "cool" side of the radiator, the transmission oil temperature tends to stabilize a bit lower than engine coolant temperature. The rise and fall of ATF temperature FOLLOWS that of the engine coolant.

Electronically managed automatics usually prevent OD/lockup until engine temperature has reached 120 degrees (varies). As you said, the colder the engine is at cold start up, the longer it takes to reach 120 degrees coolant temperature.

--

  - Philip
Reply to

become

I have a 95 4 cyl Auto.

Mine does the same. I am sure there is a comment to this effect in either the Owners Handbook. Or the Haynes Manual I have.

Anyway I know I have read it. AH...... peace of mind.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

Assuming your correct, the poster stated:

Assuming the behavior has changed, then there would seem to be some sort of problem. It would seem that either the thermostat is mis-reading the temp or perhaps a valve opens and circulates cold coolant when it shouldn't.

Reply to
kiselink

Starting out TWO responses with the word "assuming" does not bode well. LOL

It is winter ... which generally means it takes more time/distance for the engine to surpass the threshold where OD is permitted. "Gee ... I never noticed that behavior before...." The question is; before what?

A change in actual behavior or perception? Since cars have computers for both the engine and transmission governance and since temperature has a profound effect on emissions, the programing of both can/will adjust for conditions.

A thermostat IS a valve.

--

  - Philip
Reply to

Overdrive will not engage until 110f is reached in water temperature. Drive easy and slow till you reach temperature.

Reply to
m Ransley

The transmission is indeed designed to delay shifting in order to assist the car in reaching operating temperature. What also makes it more hesistant and harsher to shift is too much pressure. When the trans fluid is cold, pressure is increased. The colder it is, the higher the pressure increase. Make sure that the fluid is not overfilled. If it is at the proper level, try removing some of it. It is actually better for the transmission to be a little low than to be a little high. Too much pressure will crush the seals in the valve body.

Reply to
Mason S.

I have a 96 Toyota Camry with a 2.2 140 E transmission and it does the same thing. I keep mine in a garage and if I pull out without leting the car warm up I will go over a half mile or so before it shifts into OD. It really feels like it's hanging in a lower gear but it's not.

Reply to
Ken Day

I have the same problem with my 92 camry but its weird. It only shifts into top gear when its warm, but as i drive for a bit, temperature automatically drops and gear drops down from top to 3rd again. Its very bad on highways cuz when going at 120 Km/hr and all of sudden gear drops down :

Reply to
summerpal

I have the same problem with my 92 camry but its weird. It only shifts into top gear when its warm, but as i drive for a bit, temperature automatically drops and gear drops down from top to 3rd again. Its very bad on highways cuz when going at 120 Km/hr and all of sudden gear drops down :

Reply to
summerpal

Your thermostat is sticking open which keeps the engine from reaching operating temperature. Besides the shifting and heat issues you'll also get lousy mpg and additional engine wear since the mixture will always be rich.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

so, I suppose i need a new thermostat? Any ideas how much do they usually cost and is it a big labor task ?

Reply to
summerpal

Bad thermostat and perhaps wrong antifreemixture. You are shortening the life of your motor and oil running cold. A toyota thermostat is best my last non toy thermostat was made with to narrow a gasket, it always leaked cold water past, fix it and change oil also

Reply to
m Ransley

To shift out of overdrive your temp is 110-120, way to cold, it should be 200f, plus your motor is now carboned up from running cold.

Reply to
m Ransley

You made three points ... only ONE is accurate. 100-120 degrees coolant temperature is the range at which the transmission will be permitted to engage Overdrive.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to