95 Neon running rich

Reply to
maxpower

Any ideas how to resolved a 95 Neon SOHC 2.0l engine that is running rich? I have changed the plugs, cleaned the throtle body, and even installed a cold air intake (intake was more to remove the mess of tubing, air box and baffle attached to the air box). If this was a carburator, the issue would be resolved, but because everything is controlled by the ECU, I really do not know how to resolve this issue.

Mike mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
deadbeat

You don't do yourself any favors by putting in a "cold air intake". That "mess of tubing, air box and baffle" needs to be there; put it back. With your Ricky Racer, Jr. "cold air intake", fuel economy will suffer, emissions and engine wear (via oil contamination) will increase.

Same as always: Proper diagnosis and targeted repair. Your rich running could be caused by a number of rather minor and inexpensive faults, but guessing and throwing parts at it is the wrong way to do it.

Start by checking the codes.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes stored. Check the codes and report what you find.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Or do a ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and record the flashes of the engine light.

Reply to
Bill 2

Reply to
Mike

OK, but I have to assume you would've posted "95 Neon running rich" a few months ago had the problem been there, so why don't you check the codes

*again* and let us know what you find *now*?

You don't seem like a very good listener.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern