95 Neon common failures?

I am just wondering, what other parts are common to fail on this car. I have a 95 2 door Neon with SOHO. The car has 360,000km on it. So far, the following has failed on the car: front wheel bearings are gone DRL (transistor melted) Gas level sending unit is shot AC compressor clutch sensor is dead Trunk light will not turn off (when connected the same way my 2001 neon is) Down shifting is difficult. (particularly shifting down to second of first) Both door windows have an air leak (passenger side is worse) Engine idles worst then my Honda V-twin motorcycle O2 sensor is shot and produces an engine light once the car warms to running temp. Oil pan leaks I believe the head gasket blow sometime before I bought the car

Is there any other failures I should expect? I am going to be going to the scrap yard in the up comming weekend.(as they have $45 all you can carry)I whould like to get want ever parts I should expect to fail next.

Mike mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
mike

How many times are you going to ask this question?

Reply to
NG

I was asking if there is anything else that I should expect. I didn't know about the day time running light module untill yesturday. I was just wondering if there is anything else to expect.

Reply to
Michael

I have a friend that deals in customizing neon's and being around them a lot, I have never seen this type problems in a single vehicle. By the way, ever stop and think the bad O2 sensor may have something to do with the bad idle!! ??? If you have reason to believe the Head Gasket was blown before you bought the car, then there is also reason to believe the last owner beat the piss out of it and did not maintain it properly. With that in mind, you probably got yourself a money pit!

Reply to
PC Medic

Um... The first gen Neons where known to blow the head gaskets.

-- Thank you,

Michael Lawrence CNET/CNO snipped-for-privacy@thehad.net

Michael

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Can you carry an engine and transmission?

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Um, not as much a problem as some would believe

Reply to
PC Medic

Reply to
High Sierra

At better than 350,000km, you can expect just about anything. Depends entirely on how it was driven and maintained.

I would be expecting to see CV joints getting sloppy any time now, and your hard shifting is due to worn syncronizers in the tranny. Ther is likely some bearing wear as well, both input shaft bearing, clutch pilot bearing, release bearing, and internal bearings on both the countershaft and constant mesh gears. The clutch is likely also close to warn out - depending on your driving.

The starter is likely about ready for a set of brushes and bearings, the alternator ditto. Your suspension struts are likely getting weak, and suspension bushings, particularly the sway-bar lends and mounts are likely pretty well done in. You may also be looking at upper strut pivots on the front, and inner tie rod engs (in the rack). The rack boots may also be cracked by now, and if so, expect the rack to have some looseness - requiring replacement or rebuild. The radiator core is likely very soft, with loose fins - causing the engine to run warm. The power steering lines will also likely be starting to weep where the rubber and steel join, and the lines may be starting to develop some pretty advanced rust. The fuel pump may be getting close to giving up as well - but as the pump and guage are one unit (IIRC) fixing the guage by replacing will also replace the pump.

The rough idle may be caused by the O2 sensor, or the injectors may need servicing or replacement.

All in all, I'd say start looking for a replacement car unless you are willing and able to do a lot of repairs yourself. Neons are a dime a dozen, so it really does not make a lot of sense to spend too much on it.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

There is scarcely a 1995 neon around that has not had the head gasket gone. It was a VERY common problem - whether pounded to death or babied by grandpa. If it lasted long enough for the updated gasket to be supplied (2 years more or less) it will likely last the life of the car. If not, it was not uncommon to have the gasket blow the second time.

The syncros on the tranny were also a bit fragile, and did not stand up too well to hamfisted shifters.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce
215,000 Miles has to be lifespan for a car as inexpensive as a Neon. The car probably could be maintained indefinitely but it would cost more to do so than the car is worth. Give that car a Christian funeral and buy another one. You can buy 96 - 98 Neons all day long for a thousand bucks or less, many with under 100,000 miles on them. Buy one with a 5-speed, change the headgasket to the new one and change the timing belt, and you're set for several years of driving for under two grand. That's unbeatable.

Ted Holden

ted holden

It's perfectly beatable, but I ain't specifying how, 'cause that'll ruin it for those of us who already know! *smirk*

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern