1998 Grand Caravan stalls

3.3 liter (130k miles) engine will randomely stall at low speeds, stopped or wont start unless accelerator is depressed.

No Check engine light when it runs it runs very smooth

When I say stalls it just dies no hesitation or sputter at all.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Dave Cox

Dirty fuel filter?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.radix.net:

New fuel filter was installed no change.

Reply to
Dave Cox

Then maybe the fuel pump? They usually only last about 150K miles.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

I had a similar issue with our 1996 3.3 liter Grand Caravan. I replaced everything ignition or fuel-related without success. Mine typically died at idle (at a traffic stop) or at partial throttle when moving at 15 - 20 mph. Never did solve it; traded on a 2002 model in

2004.

Kent

Reply to
Kent

Kent wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sounds like the exact same issue.

Yea I really don't want to chase this problem down by replacing parts.

I've read many blogs and no one seems to be able to nail this issue. Even dealer's from what I have read have a hard time diagnosing this problem.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has actually had this problem and found a repair.

The way it just dies without any warning and at random intervals makes me think it's an electrical/electronic problem. (not fuel related)

Reply to
Dave Cox

Instead of whining & crying here and unwilling to invest a freakin' few dollars to solve your problem, get rid of the truck. don't you think you got a freakin' long life out ot the truck by now, that you'd be willing to invest a few freakin' dollars, if you wanted to keep the truck?

BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reply to
Dave Dodge

"Dave Dodge" wrote in news:1bacve.qaq.17.1 @news.alt.net:

WOW! some people have worse issues then my mini-van.

I think this guy needs to bend over and let me add some injector cleaner..he's not firing on all cylinders.

Reply to
Dave Cox

BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reply to
Dave Dodge

BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reply to
Dave Dodge

My guess is a dirty throttle body and gunked up ais motor. Have you tried cleaning both of them yet?? If it won't start unless you give it a little pedal it about has to be this or maybe a defective ais motor

Denny

Reply to
Denny

"Denny" wrote in news:471a8d01$0$32519$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Thanks Denny I'll do that and post back.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Cox

"Denny" wrote in news:471a8d01$0$32519$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Well It's been awhile almost forgot to post back results.

Thank You Denny, After your post I found the AIS (Air Idle Speed) Motor to be faulty.

Simple test of removing it from the throttle body and cycling the ignition on and off (without starting) shown the solenoid not working, it would just chatter and not move back or forth.

Replaced it and now after 2 weeks have not had any stalls and always starts without applying any throttle.

Hope this helps someone else.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Cox