PT Crusier auto trans "a-sick-o-four"?

Happy New Year.

My sister in law is looking at her first new Chrysler product in years. She had an early 1980s Horizon, but for the past 15 years has had a reliable Mazda 323 that now is approaching 300K miles (YES, 300K miles).

Anyhow, she is considering an 2003, or newer PT Crusier Touring, normally aspirated 2.4 with automatic. I have noticed most descriptions say 'overdrive' automatic. Does this mean the PT Crusier has the "a-sick-o-four"?

I have read that the PT Crusier is the "most reliable car built in Mexico". IntelliChoice shows good reliability, but do I need to caution her about the trans?

The other car she is considering is the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, but the prices are higher than the PT Crusier. It seems teh PT Crusier is a good value in the used car market.

Any comments apprecaited!

Bill

Reply to
billccm

It has a descendant of the old A604. The PT Cruiser hasn't been plagued with transmission problems.

Can't figure out why you'd need to. They aren't failing abnormally.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I'm involved with a number of PT Cruiser clubs and have dealt with many cars and owners over the almost 6 years the car has been out. Reliability is top notch. No more transmission problems on the PT than with any normal operation of any car. The standard 2.4 engine and the transmission were the base units for the Plymouth Voyager and Dodge Caravan mini-vans so they can handle the weight and stress. The couple of people I know of that have had transmission problems, there were no rhyme or reason for the early failure. One was a 2003 with less than 30k miles, the other was a 2002 with 50k miles, both fixed under warranty. My 2001 PT has 86k miles and is as tight and squeek/rattle free as it was the day I drove it off the lot (Oct 2000). A friend put 170k on his PT with no mechanical problems. He got a new one because someone rear ended him and totaled it.

I have several cars but I choose to drive the PT most of the time. I really like it alot. When I have a need for speed, I drive the Monte Carlo SS. But cruising in a PT is very cool and I highly recommend it.

===================

Reply to
CopperTop

Greetings!

I'm a PT owner with 93K on it, and so far-knock on wood, no tranny problems yet. I have a straight drive, and the only thing I do is keep an eye on the fluid level for the transmission. One of the easiest shifting cars I've since 1977!

Yes the car is built in Mexico, and being my first American car since a 94 Nissan-mechanically, the PT has been great. I've only had to replace electrical items-2 sensors (airbag), on board computer (under warrenty), and the speedometer connection after the first 10K-the speedometer became posessed and read 95 mph in a 25!

general maintenance helps as well-oil changing every 3K, spark plugs/belts and tires on an as needed basis! so tell your family member-don't hesitate in purchasing, and most of all-tell them to have fun with it!

Reply to
pe2

Sounds like me. I had an '89 Mazda 323 until I bought an '03 PT Touring Edition w/automatic. I loved my Mazda, but I love my PT even more. The Mazda was definitely a more fun car to drive in terms of performance, but the PT is a far more comfortable car. And so far it's been as reliable as the 323 had been. To be honest, I was a bit reluctant to buy a Chrysler product, but I'm now very glad I did. The dealer's service has been absolutely first-rate, too.

I looked at those, too, but the Matrix was too expensive and I just didn't like the Vibe. I preferred the PT's interior to the Matrix's, though that wasn't the deal-breaker for me. I was also seriously considering a Ford Focus ZX5 (not as comfortable, the most expensive car to insure of the ones I looked at) and a Suzuki Aerio (least expensive to insure, cheapest to buy, cheap quality interior but a fun drive).

I was very pleased with price I negotiated for the one I bought new, so I'm not at all surprised they're a bargain in the used car market, too.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

TILT!!!

Reply to
Steve

my tranny was replaced under 50,000Km, turbo GT

the turbo crowd is starting to have problems...

Reply to
Punch

-Good car.

/Pontiac Vibe, but

-Also good, but GM maintenance knowledge may be lacking.

-If she is keeping it for quite some time, say 10 yrs, the resale value is of no significance to the comparison.

Why hasn't she looked at the new Mazdas?

Reply to
Spam Hater

That's a lot of unexpected maintenance in that mileage.

Reply to
Spam Hater