'96 Concorde LX 3.3 Trunk Lid Lock Key Fails?

I can no longer open the trunk with a key. I have 3 sets of keys, two are worn and the other is almost new. None will open the trunk. All of the keys work in the ignition and the doors.

I can still open the trunk by pushing the button in the glove compartment so I'm not ready to panic but would like to get the key working.

Any ideas on how to fix the trunk lock so a key will open it?

Reply to
njoracle

philthy

I have no "keyfob", only keys

Reply to
njoracle

Well, more info needed. Does the key not even TURN at all? Or does it turn and just not unlock the trunk? If it doesn't turn at all, you need a new lock cylinder. If it turns but doesn't work the lock, check to see if the linkage between the cylinder and the actual latch mechanism has fallen loose.

Reply to
Steve

It does not turn at all so I assume it needs a new lock cylinder. Is that an easy DIY job or would I be better off taking it to the dealer?

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Its usually pretty simple, but unless you get a cylinder keyed to match your existing key, you'll have to carry a second key to open the trunk.

Reply to
Steve

You should be able to save a few bucks and put this in yourself. If you take your key with you to the dealer and buy the new lock cylinder from the parts guy, they should be able to key it to match your ignition key. Call and ask them what they charge ... a good locksmith should also be able to do this for you too so compare prices. Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman