96 Gd. Caravan A/C Noise?

Hello,

Has anyone had their AC compressor go bad on these vans? Just using the AC after recharging (got low over winter), as I've done before. But, now when the AC is turned on, the compressor makes a grinding noise that sounds like the bearings, or something like that. I've owned this van since '99, and havent had a problem like this before. Anyone?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

How often do you have to recharge? To me more often than every few years is not normal. You have 2 distinct possibilities here:

  1. Oil is lost with the refrigerant as it seeps out so too many refrigerant only charges without adding the proper oil for your system will result in the compressor being oil starved and damaged.
  2. You have massively overcharged the system and the noise you are hearing is actually liquid refrigerant slugging the compressor. Not sure how likely this is on a Chrysler expansion valve (TXV/TEV) system.
Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

I charged it this week, but havent had to for I believe about 3 years now. It's something I've done in the past, but this time the noise.

Reply to
Bill

Don't forget that part of A/C servicing is vacuuming out the accumulated water, not just recharging refrigerant. If the accumulator gets filled, the system gets very unhappy (leading to A/C death...).

Reply to
Ron Seiden