98 Caravan 3 Liter A/C Screeching Noise

Hello,

My 98 Caravan (96K miles) with a 3 liter makes a loud screeching noise when I start it up, and turn the AC on. It lasts for about 5-10 seconds, and stops. This happens 3 to 4 times in 30-45 second intervals, and then once in awhile after that, but not nearly as frequent, or as long a length of time. Seems to die off and ceases the longer I drive. The AC system does work, but it only occurs when it is being used. The serpentine and AC belts were replaced last July at inspection. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance for any info.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sounds like the AC belt is loose. Have it checked and tightened or replaced (may be glazed now and need replacing again since it was improperly tightened the first time) if needed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
tim bur

Sounds like the serpentine belt TENSIONER wasn't replaced (and needs to be...).

Reply to
Steve

My 3.8 liter had both a tensioner pulley and a idler pulley. It was the idler pulley that did the screeching for me. The idler pulley is the one that rides on the top surface of the belt. It's a relatively easy fix. The hardest part is getting a long enough wrench on the tensioner to release the belt.

Reply to
Rabbitdog