96 Neon random stalls on hills, no codes found.

I have a 1996 Plymouth Neon with about 73k miles on it. About a month and a half ago, the original 96 fuel pump died with no warning and had to be replaced. About a week ago my engine started to be cutting out randomly whenever I go up a hill. I was able to replicate this 6 times before taking it to the dealer service dept, the same folks who replaced my fuel pump. However, they claim they could not get it to stall on thier hill tests and turned it back to me at no charge. For the next few days my car ran like a champ, but now I was able to get it to stall on the same hill that was giving me issues before. Here's what happens. When going up a hill about 1/2 way up the engine feels like it is cutting out, sort of like it's going into neutral. If I floor it, the engine kicks back in, revs at a high RPM as it should as I've just floored the accelerator. If I'm still on the hill the engine may/may not cut out again and I'll floor it, and repeat the proccess until I reach the top. Downhill, and flat roads the car runs fine. The idle is fine as well. Only once did it fully die on a hill right outside my apartment as I started up the hill from a standstill. After letting it rest on the hill incline for about 1 minute, the engine fired right up and I was on my way with no other problems. I'm guessing its something with the fuel pump or fuel delivery system. But it's still very random at this point, for me to be able to really pinpoint something. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is getting on my nerves.

Reply to
VelvetElvis

Since the trouble seemed to start after the fuel pump was replaced, it is possible the pump or pump feed came out of position in the tank (improper installation?) and when you go up the hill you are changing the angle of the gas tank and possibly shifting the fuel away from the feed. (happened to me, pump came loose.) Joe

Reply to
joseph