97 Caravan-new noise...CV joint?

When I turn to the left, there is a humming kind of vibration, similar to what you would feel when you drive over those vibration strips on the highway (but less pronounced). This doesn't happen when I'm turning to the left.

What can this be? Is it a CV joint, wheel bearing, etc? I'm assuming that it would be the right side, because that's where the pressure is exerted when turning left(?)

Any help is appreciated.

-Corky

Reply to
Corky

Sounds like a wheel Bearing, Bill Putney can help you out with that!! But Im with you the right side!!!

Reply to
maxpower

Crap - I'm not getting into that again!! 8^)

(actually the OP contradicts himself: "When I turn to the left, there is a humming...This doesn't happen when I'm turning to the left" - but I think he meant what he said the first time. Therefore I say bad left side bearing.)

Corky - do us a favor and let us know which side it was. We're keeping score on this.

Bill Putney

I got a laugh out of that comment, fell off my damn excersize ball No im not, im out of this i will not comment. im still confused on the last one

Reply to
maxpower

It's a wheel bearing. I agree with you that it's on the right, but I'm sure I could be wrong. They can be kind of hard to isolate by sound.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
jdoe

Thanks guys.

I meant that the noise only happens when I turn to the left, NOT when I turn to the right. Unless one of you guys wants to pay me off to say I meant the other way around. ;)

I guess I'm doing the right wheel bearing this weekend...

-corky

jdoe wrote:

assuming

Reply to
Corky

OK, I'm really confused. I get the noise when turning left, so the wheel bearing I need to replace is the left one? Please answer "correct" if this is the case, instead of the OTHER word that you could use to confirm my comment. Then this will just turn into some kind of freakish "Who's on First" skit...

-corky

Reply to
Corky

Bill? sound familiar?

Reply to
maxpower

This has been a running argument. Since turning left turns the noise on and turning right turns it off, if I'm correct, you will need to replace the bearing on the left side. If everybody else is correct, you will need to replace the bearing on the right (U.S. passenger) side. 8^)

Bill Putney

LalalalalalaI'mnotlisteninglalalala...

Bill Putney

Reply to
maxpower

I guess I can help you guys put this to rest. I'm going to try the left first, because that's what my physics gut tells me. If that doesn't work, I'll do the right. Hopefully, we'll find out which one of you is correct after I am done with one or both of the above actions. If not, then I'm a couple hundred bucks poorer, I haven't helped settle the argument, and a nice Saturday is shot.

I'll let you know.

-Corky

Reply to
Corky

aarcuda69062

Reply to
mic canic

Actually, I meant the other way around. I'm trying the RIGHT first becuase it makes the noise when I turn LEFT.

Reply to
Corky

You're sure now - 'cause you contradicted yourself in your first post about that?

Bill Putney

Since parts like bearings tend to fail in pairs, I'd put it up on stands and look at both sides. If there's some obvious damage to one I'd replace it; otherwise I'd replace both.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Hmm great teacher

Reply to