97 Chrysler T&C 3.8 - radiator cooling fan problem

I have replaced broken/burned radiator fan relay twice in three weeks. Someone told me the fans might be the problem, being "grounded or shorted" such that it is consuming too much electric power causing the relay to burn-out. I was thinking if it so, should it not burn the fuse (instead of the relay)? Any other thoughts, or has anybody experienced the same problem, and how was it fixed? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
liona

It could be what is known in electrical engineering as a "smart short" - that is a partial short (or higher than normal load) that is high enough resistance not to blow the circuit fuse, but low enough to cause damage to certain components thru overheating over a period of time. A good design would be such that such a condition could never happen, but sometimes, that is impossible to meet for all possible situations (primarily because there is no such thing as a perfect fuse) - IOW, sometimes it is necessary for the designers to cross their fingers and hope that all failures will be a hard short and blow the fuse.

Sorry I can't offer any practical advice, but thought I'd give you that info.

Bill Putney

Thanks for the info, Bill.

Reply to
liona

The fan relay is a recall item on my '96 G. Caravan 3.8. Not sure on the '97. The problem (resulting in the recall) was, I think, one of the screws holding the relay onto the frame would break causing a loss of heat transfer to the frame. The relay would heat up and burn out. With no fan, the engine would heat up and have a chance of total failure.

Reply to
David Allen

You're very welcome. But I'd say that you need to thank David too as his advice was more on the practical side of actually solving your problem.

Bill Putney

Thanks for your input, David. (sorry, just got back from out of town trip, so this late reply). The heat transfer through the screw makes sense. I did notice that when I replaced the relay, there was only one screw holding it. I was not sure though if it broke, or if only one was installed to begin with. I looked and there was no trace of an old screw previously being in there. Anyway, I added a second screw and also thought of replacing the electrical terminal/connector to the relay as one contact appeared corroded. It has been over a week since last relay replacement. It appears to be holding well.. I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping the relay would last. Thanks again.

Reply to
liona

I am having problems with my fans right now. I now the fans are okay becaus I can wire them direct and make them run. I have been trying to locate the relay but am having difficulities. Can you tell me where this relay is at. My van is a 97 Plymouth Voyager, but should be the same i would think.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
chrisinmn

Remove the "resonator" and the air filter housing. You'll see the fan relay bolted to the frame. The "resonator" is the unit bolted to the crossmember right over the radiator on the right side and has air ducting that leads to the throttle body to the rear and air ducting down to the air filter box below.

Reply to
David Allen