96 Accord Cooling Fan Problem

Hi,

My car is running hot, and I checked under the hood and noticed my cooling fans/radiator fans do not come on. Even when I cut on the A/C, the fans do not come on. I even tried letting the car sit and run for

10 to 15 minutes, still the same problem....the fans do not come on. Do I need to replace the entire radiator/fan unit, or is there a problem with the fan motor? I have not check the thermostat yet, could this also be the problem and I need to replace it? Thanks in advance for all your help.
Reply to
celliot75

--------------------------------------

First and most obvious question: How full is the RAD and the Reservoir? If there's AIR in the cooling system, ONE of your fans will never cut in unless you turn the car upside down. Your manual says you can fill the reservoir to MAX. Try it three days in a row (cold engine) and see how much the system 'sips'.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"celliot75" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Fan switch relay is bad.

TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns9825CE9DF4035tegger@207.14.116.130:

relay or temp sensor?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns98266F674CD12jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.86:

Check the relay first. The temp sensor is very reliable.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns9826CB8D19A68tegger@207.14.116.130:

I had the coolant temp sensor( a thermistor) go open on my 94 GSR.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9826D111DEE02jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.83:

I said "reliable" not "perfect". ECUs are exceedingly reliable too, but they do fail as well.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all your help so far. I was able to trace down and found the power connection for the A/C fan was disconnected. I check the power connection for the condenser fan as well, but everything was connected okay for the condenser fan. The A/C fan comes on now when I start the car, and turn on the A/C, but the other fan (condenser) still does not come on. The car does not over-heat now that the A/C fan is working, but after a long commute (30 minutes or so) I noticed that there were bubbles in the resevior tank....does this mean a head gasket problem, or is this related to the condenser fan not coming on? I ran the A/C during my commute home, and the engine did not over-heat at all. I did flush the radiator before this commute, but I made sure to bleed the air out of the radiator, and topped off the fluid level for both the radiator and the resevior tank. What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance....

--Craig

Reply to
celliot75

"celliot75" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Replace the rad cap (with new OEM!). If that doesn't help, get the head gasket checked out.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

almost certainly head gasket.

continue to observe for bubbles. if still present after full purge of system, gasket's gone and needs replacement soonest before damage to head or block occurs.

Reply to
jim beam

Hey Guys,

Okay, the same commute as before and there were no bubbles in the resevior tank. I found the problem with the condenser fan, I hot wired both fans and found that the motor for the condenser fan is bad. I'm in the process of replacing the motor for the condenser fan. Before I left my home this morning, I topped off all the fluids first, but only the resevior tank needed anti-freeze ( it wasn't totally empty, but was pretty low). After my commute today ( no bubbles in the resevior tank), I looked under the hood, and saw the resevior tank was again low.....this was right after I got out of the car from my 30 minute or so commute. I'm now waiting for the engine to cool off, to check and see if I need to add anymore anti-freeze. I will let you know how it goes, but if you have any other recommendations in the mean time, this would be much appreciated.

--Craig

Reply to
celliot75