97 Grand Caravan trans

I've got a 97 Grand Caravan with 3.1 engine

137,500 miles on it. I've change the trans fluid every 20-25K miles. original trans in it... Everything is fine with it..No leaks ,no burned smell.... works just fine.....( I might have just jinxed myself)

Question......... Am I on borrowed time with the trans? Previously had a

90 GC that used to eat them up at 70K miles Now much more can I expect before a rebuild is needed ?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin McMahon

When you say *3.1* engine, do you mean 3.0 or 3.3? If you have the 3.0, you may have the 3-speed which has proven to be reliable. By 1997, most of the problems had been worked out of the 4 speed too.

I would guess that your consistent effort to change the fluid on a regular basis has helped as well.

Your 1990 most likely had the early 4 speed transmission which had the tendency to be problematic.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

3.1? Are you sure it isn't a 3.3? I'm not aware of a 3.1 in the 97 model year, just 3.3 and 3.8 liter.

Hard to say if you are on borrowed time. My 96 GV just rolled over

176,000 miles on its original engine (3.3L) and transmission and is still running fine. It hiccuped a couple of weeks ago right after I fueled it, but I don't know what the cause was and it hasn't recurred in the nearly 800 miles I've driven since so I'll just keep driving it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Kirk, Opps...I did mean the 3.3 with the 4 speed.. the 3.1 must have been a Ford that I owned the past. Yes the 90 GC with the 4 speed needed 3 rebuilds in 210k miles... Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin McMahon

In that case, I would just keep doing what you are doing with the regular fluid and filter changes. If any problems do develop, have them properly diagnosed. Just last week, my boss had a transmission would not longer shift, and the speedo was not working. I suggested that the speed sensor might be at fault, and it was. He was prepared for an expensive transmission repair.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson