97 Caravan problems

Anyone else have a problem with excessive tire wear and oil leaks? Found out head gaskets are leaking oil. Just had 3rd set of tires put on, and had 3rd alignment in one year. Van has 60k miles.

Reply to
Bob

Next time you have an alignment done, have them give you "before" and "after" printouts (including the specs. and limits or tolerances to compare to your actual measurements). Without those to see what's really going on, you are at the mercy of the alignment shop (who may also be selling you the tires). If they say they can't provide you with the printouts, find another shop that can and will. You might be surprised at how certain problems magically clear up when they see that you are paying attention.

What tires have you been using? Don't expect a 260 rated tire to last like a 620 that only costs a little more.

Bill Putney

Not me. My 96 GV got more than 60,000 on the tires it had when I bought it (it had 34K when I bought it and the tires looked pretty new) and now has nearly 50,000 on the Michelins that I bought to replace the Goodyears it came with. Haven't had any major engine oil leaks, but did have a transaxle leaked repaired recently, but after nearly 140,000 miles I didn't feel too bad about that.

I'd say the leaking head gasket may just be bad luck as I've not heard that being a weak spot of the Chrysler engines. Do you have the 3.3L?

As for your tires, what are your driving habits? What brands of tires have you used? Do you check tire pressure regularly? Do you rotate the tires at least every 10,000 miles and preferably every 5-6K? When did you last have your alignment checked? Are the tires wearing out uniformly or is their an unusual pattern to the wear?

Most people that I've seen wear out a set of radials in less than 30,000 miles typically drive like Mario Andretti, never check their tire pressure, never rotate their tires and never have their vehicle's alignment checked.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Oops, read right past the alignment comment. Have you used the same shop? If so, a chance that you've had three bad alignments. I'd try a different shop next time if this is the case.

Another thing I though of, has your van ever been wrecked? Did you buy it new so that you know its history?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Nope...still have the original factory tires on my 97 Grand SE at ~40K miles. In fact, it looks like the rubber is beginning to crack from dry rot before the tread will be worn out. No oil leaks either (3.3 V6).

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
damnnickname