a/c compressor out on '89 3/4 ton what serpentine belt do i use

I have an '89 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 350 in it and it had A/C, but the compressor siezed. Is there any changes I have to do to get a different serpentine belt to work bypassing the compressor? I am afraid that the tensioner isn't going to work when I bypass the compressor. Any suggestions, and any idea what size belt I need?

Reply to
heldbunch

Robert Ball

Thanks Robert, but will it fit? This engine without a/c has a 4 groove belt, but with a/c, it is a 6 groove belt. they are also two different widths.

Reply to
heldbunch

"heldbunch" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkabouttrucks.com...

The idler pulleys are in different locations as well. Its not a matter of will it fit, but how to clear the water pump when you bypass the ac. On the non ac models there is an idler pulley where the ac compressor is. If the Bearing on the pulley assembly of the AC compressor is not seized, you can do as was suggested and unplug the compressor, or if the clutch plate is messed up and hitting the pulley assembly remove the nut from the shaft and pull the clutch plate off. Evacuate the system if you have to run it with the clutch plate removed, there is a small lock ring that holds the shaft seal in place, but I don't know if I would trust it by itself, and any washers that are behind the clutch plate save, they are shims. If the problem is the bearing assembly on the clutch and pulley, the assembly can be replaced without discharging the system, only special tool needed is the clutch plate puller (auto zone loans them) and outside snap ring pliers, about an hours labor.. Assuming R4 compressor, don't waste your money on a rebuilt unit. Brand new Delphi (AC Delco) are usually with in $20 of rebuilt. As always replace the orifice tube and the accumulator, and flush the dickens out of the system if you replace the compressor. Now is a good time to convert to R-134a if its still on R-12. Use the correct pag oil for the system after a flush. I post all options and suggestions not assuming you don't know how to, but assuming many lurkers don't know how to.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks Whitelightning. The condenser was damaged in a truck/deer accident several years ago, so the system has been evacuated for some time. That's why the dilema of what to do. Are the tensioner's the same on the systems with and without a/c, just in different locations?

Reply to
heldbunch

The tensioner is the same on both systems, and located in the same place. The difference is the AC has a compressor, the without AC has an idler pulley where the ac compressor would be. The With Out AC belt is a dayco 940K4, 94 inches long, 4 grooves. The with AC is a Dayco 1010K6, 101 inches long, 6 groove. Part numbers for most aftermarket Serpentine belts are easy to figure out, the last number before the K is for fraction of an inch the numbers preceding that are the inches, the number after the K is number of grooves in the pulley.

One of the things I discovered digging is that both the 89 1/2 van and 3/4 ton van use the same belt set up as the 1989 pick up. In 1990 they changed. So it maybe easier to find a van with out ac and get the idler pulley set up to replace the ac compressor with. You must live in a cool climate to do with out AC in the summer, must be nice. Of course the down side is the defrosters don't work near as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Man, you are just an encyclopedia of knowlege! I really appreciate your help. I am looking for an idler pulley today. Thanks so much for your help. I live in South Dakota, so it gets pretty hot in the summer, but a poor guy like me can get by without a/c. That's what windows are for. ha. Thanks again. Just in case anyone else tries, it is pointless to try to bypass the a/c compressor in these, as the a/c mounts are in the way of the belt, and the tensioner will not move enough to allow it to work properly. I really appreciate the help on this.

Reply to
heldbunch

Just so you all know, I have now found, (of course, after I bought a used a/c compressor) that there is now an idler pully on the market to replace the a/c compressor that has the 6 groove pully on it. I was quoted a price of $35, which sure beats $100 for a used compressor that I paid. You just need to know who to ask for it.

Reply to
heldbunch