Advice on 2004 Grand Cherokee

Hello, above vehicle will be used to tow ~ 3000# trailer during the summer, usually just 20-30 miles 1-2 times a week. with 1 or 2 longer trips during the course of the summer.

Looking for reliability ( and maybe fuel mileage running a close 2nd) more than anything ,as I tend to keep vehicles for a long time.

Questions:

1-- 4.0 engine w/ 4 speed auto vs. 4.7 engine w/ 5 speed auto

Any problems with either one of these engines or transmissions?

2--Selec-Trac transfer case vs Quadra-Trac II transfer case

I understand how they work and don't mind shifting into

4WD but would one be better than the other for towing?

Also we live in a snow belt area so we get a couple hundred inches of snow a year :-)

3-- Any problems in general with the Grand Cherokee??

Thanks for any info, ---Greg---

Reply to
Greg

Selectrac is only available with the 4.0L engine, not the 4.7 V8. I've towed with a 4.0L Cherokee but there's no comparison between it and the two

4.7L Grand Cherokees we've owned (we still own the second one). Superb engine and does great towing a trailer of your size. The 4.7L is the second-best engine I've owned, second-best only to the superb 4.0L I had in a Lexus LS400... which is to say the 4.7L Jeep engine is an excellent/outstanding engine. The tranny is excellent too, you barely feel it shift. That combination definitely gets up and goes. The 4.7L definitely wins on ease of changing the spark plugs, all eight are right on top and easily accessible, an amazing thing.

You'd be real happy with the 4.7L (don't spend extra for the High-Output version) and Quadratrac when towing or just driving around, I know we are.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks for the reply, Jerry

I test drove a 4.7 HO and it was pretty impressive. It was kind of disheartening when the trip computer said I got 7.8 MPG.

thanks again.

---Greg---

Reply to
Greg

Well, horsepower comes from something!

Dan

Reply to
dgates-at-keller - no - space - engineering - dot - com

Not really. The V8 transmission does have a cute trick on downshift that gives a slightly higher speed than it does on upshift.

The 4.0 can tow the trailer, but you'd probably be happier with the V8 if you do it much. Get all of the tow package addons such as extra transmission cooler, and plan on just changing the fluid every 60K it should run forever.

Yikes. If you get the Limited or Overland, get the continuously variable Quadra-Drive and Vari-Lock axles. Details under the 4x4 links on the

page. On the lowermodels, the QTrac 2. Unless you plan on hardcore rock crawling.

For snow, the full time 4wd's work when needed. There may be some mileage benefit from the availability of the 2WD modes on the Selectrac, dunno. For slippery mud, etc. the part time 4wd can lock the front and rear, but not really that much better than the Quadra-Drive and Vari-Lock.

Getting rid of that shit eating grin mostly, plus getting your wife out of the driver's seat...

Reply to
Lon Stowell

You may have been testing performance a bit too much. A friend's 2003 4.7 HO Overland gets so close to the same mileage I get in a 95 ZJ 4.0 that I keep taking the missus by the local dealer "accidentally" [is her ZJ, but she is nice enough to let me play...]. In town about 15 if mostly the expressways, highway roughly 20.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

From what I have seen lately at our Jeep dealership Chrysler seems have got most of the bugs out of the WJ. "Grand Cherokee". The brakes are the only sore spot. The front brake rotors tend to warp, of which Chrysler has addressed. You will definitely need the 4.7 engine with the 45RFE Trans to pull the weight you are taking about. I would stay away from the select track because there are no advantages, either fuel mileage or reliability to have it. Select track is out dated and at times can be a problem to engage when you need it. There may be an additional trans oil cooler available for the WJ. Mechanically the WJs are all solid no matter what drive train they have. Hope this helps Mike

Reply to
Michael Simon

Michael,

I work for a Jeep dealership and have been selling Jeeps for four years, sounds as if you work for one too.

Question, why would you say that the 4.7 is needed for towing 3000 lbs. The 4.0 I-6 can tow 5000 lbs. 4.7 - 6500 lbs.

Comment; the select-trac has been proven for a long time, difficult to engage? I disagree.

Kevin O'Brien email; snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Jeep dealer Massachusetts

Reply to
Kevin O'Brien

I just bought a new Columbia Edition JGC on Monday. I have put 350 miles on it in a week because of the holidays. Mine came with the HO motor. It is pretty impressive on accelerating and is a joy on the highway. I traded in a 2002 Wrangler Sport. In the end, I was down to a 4runner or this. The bang for buck quotient was higher on this. I also thought the ride was better. My only concern was things I've heard on reliability of these. Most issues were over the Quadra-drive(there are several owners who have hate pages on the net about this) I figured the QT-II that is in mine is a completely different animal and any electrical or brake bugs would get worked out within the life of the warranty. Overall, I think I made the right choice on this one. It is a really great vehicle.

Reply to
Brad and Julie Vaughn

Kevin As you know the 4.0 is a slug compared to the 4.7L. And you may also have noticed in the sales literature the 45RFE 5 speed trans attached to the 4.7

5th gear ratio is 0.67:1 as apposed to the 42RE trans attached to the 4.0L 4th gear ratio is 0.69:1. Which one would you rather have on the longer trips Greg is talking about for fuel mileage. Don't get me wrong I agree the 4.0L and the 42RE trans are proven reliable. Now on the subject of the select-track 242 transfer case. First I have seen people attempt to just slip the select trac shifters into Full time or Part time 4wd when they get stuck "no synchros". They go no where because you need to be moving for transfer case to engage 4wd. Second 90% of the jeep owners I talk to do not know weather to use full time of part time 4wd when using select-track. We tell people to leave their select-track in full time 4wd when weather turns bad, but Kevin they never do, they get stuck and attempt to engage while the jeep can't move. They then call us and tell us their 4wd would no work when they needed it. No I disagree the time has come for Select-trac to disappear, besides the on-demand 4-wheel drive transfer case is completely reliable. Which ever system a person performs Jeep is a solid investment. Mike Jeep Dealer Nebraska

reliability to

Reply to
Michael Simon