Jeep 4WD options

Hi,

What is everyones opinion of the various 4WD systems Jeep offers? I'm going to be upgrading from my 96 Laredo 2WD to a Laredo 4WD but I'm trying to decide which 4WD option to get: Select Trac, Quadra-Trac I or Quadra-Trac II. Right now I'm leaning toward the Quadra-Trac II. Is anyone better than the other.

I don't plan on doing any off roading, but since I live in Fairbanks, Alaska 4WD is almost a must, though I've gotten by with my 2WD and snow tires for 2 years without problems so far.

Thanks,

Mike

ICQ 160154674 AOL AIM: Jon Ne Reb United States Navy 1979-1982 Aviation Machinists Mate 2nd Class VT-23, HS-1, USS Carl Vinson CVN70 (Plank Owner)

-----Use treesqueak at gci dot net to reply by email-----

Reply to
Mike

I don't know about any one else's opinion, but I think that it would be cheaper, easier, and quicker to sell your 2wd Laredo and buy a 4wd version. JMHO.

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
Thomas W.

I would look at a small v8 engine (4.7 l) mated with five speed automatic (quad II) for the best fuel economy without sacrificing performance. From my experience that combination gets better mileage than the 6 cylinder.

Other than that, I guess it comes down personal preferences.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Greenwood

Oh, sorry. I read the OP as wanting to upgrade the vehicle from 2wd to 4wd. I guess I have to read more carefully! :)

Reply to
TJim

If you have gotten by with 2wd and snow tires for 2 years, then you already know how to handle yourself in snow and slippery road conditions. In my opinion all you really need is the Selec Trac system then. For bad snow, put it into part time four wheel drive mode. For slippery roads, full time mode. For a nice summer's day, save wear and tear on the transfer box by using two wheel drive mode. Quadra-Trac II is probably "better," but it is more complicated, prone to failure, and needs more maintenance. Selec Trac, on the other hand, is a purely mechanical system with no friction clutches and practically bullet proof in comparison. "Simpler is better" is what I say.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Now.. that is what I call 'turnover'. How did you sell it so quick? Paper? autotrader?

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tolcher

Paper. It was in for about 3 weeks. Had lots of calls and a couple of folks said they would come out and look at it, but wasted my time by not showing up. Several out of state calls.

The guy who bought came out the day he called and then made me an offer which I took. He picked it up today. Sure wish he had been the first to call. :)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

That's the plan I had. 2003 Laredo 4WD Garnet Red (for the wife) with

4.7L V8. The only problem is the dealer in the lower 48 that I'm buying from, no longer has any 2003's that I like. And most dealers have very few 2003's. I've searched other inventories, no luck. So I'm going to have to go 2004, but the basic Laredo's no longer are offered in the color (garnet red) and the V8 as an option.

I don't like the bumper and side molding to be the body color, I like the dark gray, I think it looks better, and the only 2004 model that has Gray molding and my alternate color choice (Midnight Blue) is the FREEDOM EDITION.

So I'm looking at the FREEDOM EDITION. It has most of the options I like/want. The thing is, other than the 4.0 I-6, Jeep only offers the

4.7L HO V8 as a engine option. Only the 2004 SPECIAL EDITION and the LIMITED offer the 4.7L V8 as an option. I was disappointed in this but I don't like the exterior one color look of the SE/L editions.

My wife and I both would like a V8 so I guess with that much power, I'll be able to pull others out of the snow as a sideline. :)

Reply to
Mike

Man, that really frosts my gourd when people do that! >:( It's so incredibly rude and inconsiderate! Don't they realize they made you sit around waiting for them?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you live in Alaska? 8^) Out-of-staters tend to be pretty far away, don't they?

Reply to
TJim

My wife was more mad than I was. The local Nissan dealer called twice about it as they were short on used cars. I made sure they knew it was

2WD, they said yes they knew. I took it to them and on the second visit they made an offer. When I brought it back the next day, they backed out when they realised it was 2WD instead of 4WD. Man I was pissed. They said had I brought in at the beginin of the summer, they would have taken it. Yeah, right!

One was from a lady in Chicago that is coming to the Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks for a year and needs a car. Another was from a WA area code.

Reply to
Mike

The city and the state are pretty good at keeping the main roads and highways clear of snow. They lay down gravel in parking lots, intersections, where ice (mostly from idiling cars) and snow tend to accumulate. Neighborhood streets and side streets are plowed and graveled but you still have up 10 or more inch layer of snow and ice which get compacted by driving as they don't plow those very often.

The snow here is very dry and doesn't stay on the highways long. It's blown away by traffic and wind. It's so dry you can't make snowballs, it's just powder.

I've been thinking I'll probably go with Select Trac for just the reasons you say.

Mike

ICQ 160154674 AOL AIM: Jon Ne Reb United States Navy 1979-1982 Aviation Machinists Mate 2nd Class VT-23, HS-1, USS Carl Vinson CVN70 (Plank Owner)

-----reply by email to treesqueak at gci dot net -----

Reply to
Mike