Stratus power windows problem

Curious as to what would cause all the power windows in my '02 Stratus to stop working? Dealer parts guy says circuit breaker virtually never goes bad. No previous problems. Motor, perhaps? Anything I can check on my end before hitting the shop next week?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dillon Family

Don't own a Stratus but there must be a fuse for the power windows which should be checked first. Did you check all the switches in the car to see if windows are dead all around?

Stratus to

Reply to
Art Begun

Yup, I did. All windows are dead (can't lower from the master switch at the driver's side or the individual switches by the windows). There's a circuit breaker that operates the windows only, but I was told they virtually never go bad. The dealer didn't even have any in stock.

Isn't each individual window operated by it's own motor? Wonder why all the window winders would go bad at one time. Sure points to a common problem.

Thanks for the reply. Happy Holidays.

Reply to
Dillon Family

Even though there is a circuit breaker there might be a fuse. Check your manual. You might want to see if you can follow the wire from the driver door under the dash and look for a loose connector. By the way, I assume you realize that there is a window lock button on the passenger door. Make sure it isn't in the locked position. I went to

and searched on the group page for your problem. If it isn't a fuse then I can tell you that there seems to be no major problem people are having like yours with the Stratus. There was an interesting post on a Cherokee which may explain your problem if the Stratus is made the same way. The lock out switch on the Cherokee has a wire which if it breaks in the driver door you loose 3 windows. If the whole harness fell apart in that door I would guess you lose everything but that is just a guess and for the Cherokee but it certainly points that the problem, it is isn't a fuse or loose connection on the body, then it is in the driver's door.

Here is the text of the post:

"On my Grand Cherokee I had the same problem. On the driver's door panel is a pushbutton which I think is labelled "LOCK" (it's called "WDO" on my newer Dodge Stratus). When you push the button in, it disables all other window controls except those on the driver's door. What happened to me is that the wire which controls the lockout feature broke inside the bundle of wires that run between the door and the body of the car. You can see the protective sleeve around these wires when you open the door.

It seems to be a common problem; the parts guy at the dealership said he orders a lot of these wiring harnesses. It took about a half hour to replace. You don't even have to take the door apart (it uses a screw-in connector at both ends). "

switch at the

virtually never

Reply to
Art Begun

Thanks for the extra effort in helping me with this problem. According to the owner's manual, the c/breaker is the only fusing part in the circuit. I have tracked one down ($3.00 and change) at Advance Auto so if it doesn't make the windows work, I'll at least have a spare. I'll also check the wiring etc. I'll have to have the dealer attack this probably. One thing I remembered: the driver's door had to be semi-disassembled recently for some minor body work. The windows have worked since then (at least I think I've had them down and up) but something could have gone snafu. Even if it's a dealer repair, it's still under warranty.

Thanks again and Happy Gnu Year -