ASD relay ?

On my 98 Dodge Stratus, I am not getting voltage back to the fuel pump plug, from the power distribution center. When I checked both the fuel pump relay, and ASD relay, they both checked out fine. When I checked for voltage at pin 30, inside the PDC box, for the ASD relay, I got 12 volts. Then at pin 86, for the same relay, I got 12 volts with the key off and I am only suppose to get the voltage at that pin when the key is turned on. Is this telling the PCM to turn off the fuel pump and ignition? The car is in a no start situation. I am getting spark with my spark tester, but the fuel pump isn't turning on, so this seems like a fuel issue to me now. I can't find anywhere where it talks about having voltage at that ASD when the key is not turned on. Any ideas?

Thanks Randy

Reply to
Randy Pape

Keep in mind you only have about 3 sec's of battery voltage at the fuel pump when the key is turned on. Are you testing this while someone turns the key on for you while you are at the connector?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

yes i had a friend turn the key on while i had my fluke meter set to dc to measure the voltage. it read OL on my meter,which seems strange to me?

Reply to
Randy Pape

thanks George, this makes perfect sense, I'll check it out.

Reply to
Randy Pape

I had the same problem on my 98 Sebring with 2.5. Ended up being the ecu that was fried.

Reply to
holycow

The ASD relay supplies battery voltage to the ignition coil. If you have spark, it's working. You need to be looking at the fuel pump/relay/wiring if the fuel pump's not working.

Reply to
bllsht

Have you checked fault codes before poking around and disconnecting components? have you sprayed a combustion liquid such as throttle body cleaner into the throttle body to see if it starts and shuts back down? Like bllsht said,If you have spark, the ASD is working, check fuel pump relay. Pin 87 12 volts with key on. Pin 30/35 12 volts all the time.Pin 85 fuel pump control circuit If you ground the fuel control circuit with the key on and relay connected the pump should kick on, or jump 30/35 with 87 relay out the fuel pump should kick on.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

-- Message posted using

information at

damnnickname

Glenn , as you may recall this car has been my nightmare since November. there is now none or has there ever been any codes with this car . i checked both relays like you said with power on them, jumpered from the battery and a ground. then without power on them, checking continuity etc. both relays checked out fine to me according to my repair manual. i wonder if the PDC block isn't making a good connection ? my boss said to do the same thing as you did , grounding out pin 85 ,so I'll try that. i read where the ASD controls fuel to the injectors and power to the coil etc. is this correct? have you sprayed a combustion liquid such as throttle body

thanks Randy

Reply to
Randy Pape

well I've realized that the ASD is fine and the fuel relay/circuit is the issue. it seems that when I check pin86 of the fuel pump relay with the key on, I get no voltage there. I then went and checked #10 fuse for the coil of the relay inside the PDC and sometimes I would get the voltage there and sometimes not. I also noticed when I turned the key on that sometimes all the lights would come on, on the dash, and sometimes not. could this still be the PCM? I tried jumping the relay ,per glenns instructions, and the pump still didn't come on. I also tried to ground pin #85 to no avail. any more ideas? thanks

Reply to
Randy Pape

Dumb question here. Did you check all the fuses in the PDC, there are 2 fuses that control the fuel pump relay circuit.# 10 and #8. This is such an easy circuit and I cant believe you haven't fixed this problem yet.You mention nothing about spraying throttle body cleaner into the intake to see if it starts?? You are either not checking the correct wire at the fuel pump or you have something else wrong with the vehicle. when ever you get around to spraying the throttle body with throttle body cleaner to verify it is a fuel problem let me know

Reply to
maxpower

Dumb question here. Did you check all the fuses in the PDC, there are 2 fuses that control the fuel pump relay circuit.# 10 and #8. This is such an easy circuit and I cant believe you haven't fixed this problem yet.You mention nothing about spraying throttle body cleaner into the intake to see if it starts?? You are either not checking the correct wire at the fuel pump or you have something else wrong with the vehicle. when ever you get around to spraying the throttle body with throttle body cleaner to verify it is a fuel problem let me know Is #8 fuse blown?

Reply to
maxpower

no. i don't see the sense in spraying anything in the throttle body if i'm not getting voltage to the fuel pump. both fuses # 8 & # 10 are ok. i'm in school for industrial electrician so reading the wiring diagram, testing the relay's etc. are of no problem to me. i agree this should be very simple to trace. if no voltage at relay pin 86 in the pdc, then go to the fuses. well the fuses are good, now what? i pulled the fuses out and checked for voltage where they go and got voltage where the 20 amp fuse goes, but only sometimes where the 10 amp one goes,this is with the key turned on it's like it's sporadic. as far as the fuel pump plug goes, i'm testing the dark green/white and the black wire on the plug, this is according to the wiring diagram. i'm beginning to think there's some intermittent problem with the pcm .

.

Reply to
Randy Pape

The 10 amp is from Ign switch. If you suspect that bad why not supply 12 to the fuse thru a jumper wire to see if this works, If it does, back track to the switch. The 12 volts on that fuse has nothing to do with the PCM. The only thing the PCM does in this circuit is groud the fuel pump relay control circuit so that the fuel pump relay stays engergized. Thats why I said ground the control side of the realy to see if it starts. you said it didnt work so now we can say it isnt the PCM. And it seemed to me that you did all tests for the fuel pump circuit and all check good...thats why I said spray something into the throttle body to see if the vehicle starts

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
Randy Pape

The 10 amp is from Ign switch. If you suspect that bad why not supply 12 to the fuse thru a jumper wire to see if this works, If it does, back track to the switch. The 12 volts on that fuse has nothing to do with the PCM. The only thing the PCM does in this circuit is ground the fuel pump relay control circuit so that the fuel pump relay stays energized. That's why I said ground the control side of the relay to see if it starts. you said it didn't work so now we can say it isn't the PCM. And it seemed to me that you did all tests for the fuel pump circuit and all check good...that's why I said spray something into the throttle body to see if the vehicle starts

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
maxpower

To: "maxpower" Subject: Re: ASD relay ? Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:34:45 -0600

Glenn , everything I see in my repair book and online in alldata.com says the fuel pump plug should be 4 pin, 2 for the pump and 2 for the fuel level sensor. I 'm sure i have the right plug,it goes through trunk down to fuel pump and this one has 8 pins in it ? any thoughts?Yes I do have a thought, first, Dont confuse this issue by sending me post to emailSecond, if you have been testing an 8 way connector you are using the wrong connectorAs I said ealier you are doing something wrong because this is a very easy test. You areTesting the wrong connector. IT IS A 4 WAY CONNECTOR!!! located behind the rear seat and goes thru the floor that way.Before I reply to another post you tell me "Glenn I sprayed some throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and it started or itdidnt start"

Reply to
maxpower

just to let you know , it IS an 8 pin connector that goes down through the floor to the fuel pump area, and when i applied 12 volts to the pin i thought was for the fuel pump,by identifying the wire colors in the wiring diagram, the fuel pump ran. i found i have a broken piece inside the key lock cylinder for actuating the different ignition switch positions and i will fix this next.

Reply to
Randy Pape

relay/circuit

Ok, I don't have the first thread you started on this vehicle. If you get a chance get me the last 8 digits of the vin#. This key problem you are having, were you experiencing this from day one when you first posted in I think November? The key cylinder is sold as a complete assembly. The part sells from 40$ to

125$ depending on part number.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Hi!

It sounds like your meter was trying to autorange and could not do so in time. Try setting it for a DC volts scale that is within the voltages you are looking for instead of letting it automatically determine what scale to use.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh