Automotive News Report

There's an article now in autonews.com about this. I don't subscribe so I can't read more than the headline:

Bad bolts interrupt Pacifica output Published 02/16/2004 in Automotive News The Chrysler group is determining how many 2004 Chrysler Pacificas have faulty connecting rod engine bolts and whether any of the vehicles reached dealerships or customers.

Anyone know more? I'm on the verge of buying one of these...

Reply to
kc

Then buy it, and don't worry. If they determine that some of these engines made it to dealerships, there will be a recall, and yours will be fixed if necessary. It will likely be nothing more than a minor inconvenience to you, if anything.

I have a friend who is associated with one of the suppliers of parts for this vehicle. They take keeping track of things happening in the build process *very* seriously, down to recording who was on the assembly line on which day, and how much torque that individual put onto a bolt, etc. It's amazing the level of technology they're using to try to avoid problems like this turning into *customer* problems. Once in awhile things do slip through, and once in awhile they have to do a recall. But that's life, and at least now they have excellent recordkeeping to rely upon when things do go wrong.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff