Bad AM radio reception suddenly???

2001 PT Cruiser - I listen to several low power (5,000 watt) AM talk radio stations. In the past 2-3 weeks, the signal has been messed up. Anything from static to fading in and out. I read somewhere that some GM radios were having this problem due to a defective face plate. Has Chrysler experienced any problems with their radios?
Reply to
TomKan

Don't know about a potentially defective radio, but suggest you start by measuring the vehicle's battery voltage to make sure it is still at full power. Since the battery is now at least 4 years old (assuming it is original), it may be the initial sign that it will soon need replacement. I've seen this before with weak batteries, or a bad alternator that is not properly charging. Also suggest you make sure the radio connectors, especially the antenna signal and ground are clean and tight since a poor connection could give the symptoms you are seeing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Did you install tint?

Reply to
Steve

Could be sun spots ?

Reply to
Steve Stone

AM is very sensitive to bad grounds and lose connections at the antenna. First tighten the antenna where it attaches to the vehicle. Second, check the tightness of the wire connection to the antenna; third, check the tightness of the plug end into the radio. If that does not help a new antenna may be needed. In the old day there was an AM trim screw to match the impedance but I have not seen that in "modern" car radios.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Did you drive through a tunnel?

Just checking - the IQ of people listening to AM talk radio is known to be a relatively small number

Reply to
L Sternn

That's not true overall - the proportion of Air America listeners is pretty small, so the average IQ still remains very high.

Bill Putney

You must be an AM radio talk show host.

Reply to
L Sternn

Oh - why yes - certainly you've heard of me.

Bill Putney

Also not true. Of course, all I have is a 6 tube Philco radio in my 1940 Royal Coupe!

Reply to
Count Floyd

You must be referring to Air America listeners.

Reply to
Kuzie