Bad output speed sensor on '93 Intrepid

Hello,

A while back I posted a message about my car dropping into second gear. Today I was able to pretty much confirm that it's the output speed sensor. The speedometer dropped to zero for about 10 seconds (and the car dropped into second) while I was accelerating onto the interstate. Needless to say, the car was definitely still moving! Add to that the number of posts in this group with the same problem and I think I can say I've got it nailed down as to the cause.

I have two questions:

  1. Could someone tell me exactly where the output sensor is located for this year/model ('93 Intrepid ES, 3.3l engine)? (At the very least I'd like to check the connection to the sensor. I have had a few intermittent wiring problems with this car.)

  1. If the sensor is bad, is this a job I can do myself? That's actually a hard question to answer! A better one would be: what are the tools/steps needed to replace the sensor? I can figure out from that if it's something I'm equipped to handle.

Thanks, DSF

Reply to
Audiofile

The transmission output speed sensor is located on the left sde of the transaxle, just behind the gear selector lever (The input speed sensor is in front of the gear select lever)

Haven't done it myself, but it looks easy . . . just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one and tighten to 180-300 in-lbs.

Reply to
Eric May