96 T&C OBD MIL Code 42?

The engine on our 96 T&C cuts out sporadically while driving. I read the following codes out of the OBD:

12, 32, 61, 42. Codes 12, 32 and 61 seem unrelated to the problem at hand. Which leaves me with 42.

The Haynes manual I have states that code 42 can indicate on of four problems:

1) An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown (ASD) relay circuit 2) An open condition detected in the ASD Relay Output circuit 3) An open condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit 4) Open or short between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit.

I know for a fact that fuel level sensor is faulty, as the gauge bounces all over the place when the tank is near full. So this would imply the 42 code was indicating fault 4 above. However, what if more than one of the above conditions existed? How would the OBD indicate that?

It would seem that the 42 codes related to the ASD are suspect since the ASD energizes the injectors and coil (among other things). From what I've read, the inputs to the PCM that control the ASD relay are the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. However I am not receiving any of the codes that indicate a signal was not detected from either the camshaft or crankshaft sensors.

I suppose I should fix the fuel level sensor, reset the codes and then see what comes back. But the $450 price to replace the sending unit (which is merely an annoyance) puts is low on my priority list. I'm going to be driving this car on vacation this summer and need to get this fixed before then.

Any ideas/suggestions? thanks, Frank

Reply to
Frank

mic canic