Broken engine oil cap

I was going to add a quart to the 96 Concorde 3.5 V6 and couldn't open the cap...it just clicks when turned in both directions. Surely I can't be the only one this has happened to so...is there a preferred way to get the old one off so a new one can be put on, preferably without breaking it so that pieces don't fall into the engine? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
GrtArtiste

Get a large set of water pump pliers squeeze tight jamming the top hand wheel, replace with a new one.

Reply to
Coasty

The center part of the oil cap will pop off , remove it and use a pair of channel locks to remove the rest of the cap

Reply to
maxpower

And quit calling us Shirley! :)

Bill Putney

Ours does this when the engine is hot if tightened too much. Let it cool and try again or follow other's advice.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to