Buried 1957 Plymouth

I read an article about a Plymouth Belvedere that was buried in Tulsa, OK, back in 1957. It was part of a time capsule, and will be dug up on June 15th.

It will be interesting to find out what kind of condition it is in after all these years.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Dipstick

Yeah, it won't be long now. 1957 Plymouths aren't the most rust-resistant thing.

Reply to
Joe

If it's still there I expect they will find a car without the body sheet metal. Rusted away! Unless of course it's in very dry sand.

Reply to
who

the desert is great for preservering, dont they find buried people in it after thousands of years? of course we dont tend to rust...

Reply to
Max Power

The vault had been flooded and still had a few feet of water. Sad disaster.

[image:
Unk

Hi!

If anything, the "official" site you pointed out left me wanting more information. It's great that they showed the unearthing of the car, but what happened after that? Scrapyard? Museum?

I'd have liked to known if anyone thought about seeing if it might still happen to run... My guess is that it might have after repairs and inspection.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

More info here

Closest guess of the city population now (guesses made in 1957) wins the car, to be announced tomorrow. It is sitting at a dealership until then.

Boyd was here to see about getting it running but there is no way without major work, there have been offers for a free restoration.

Still a chance it might be rebuilt but it is pretty far gone.

Rumors here hint that Chrysler has offered a new car in trade and a few shops have offered a free restoration.

Reply to
Unk

It seems that some people think the car is valuable because of its history. If it was my car, I'd certainly scrap it, but that's not what they're going to do.

Reply to
Joe