Caravan Alternator Circuit Trouble

91 Grand Caravan with code 41 "alternator field problem"; new battery; belt tension ok; 12.6v with engine off and 14.2v with engine running. No apparent problems yet other than check engine light. Any ideas with this one?

Ken

Reply to
dprkk

The running voltage is within spec. Clear the code and see if it comes back.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Bill,

Cleared it a couple times, but it comes back about 20 seconds after starting engine.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Kose

When I had that same problem it was the worn-out brushes in the alternator. When they start to get bad they are somewhat intermittent. I'd take the alternator off, take it down to Autozone, have it tested, tested OK, put it back on, and it would stop charging. I finally changed out the alternator and all was well. YMMV.

Reply to
Steve N.

This model often had a problem where the regulator portion of the BCM would go bad. It can be tested by connecting the field circuit directly to the battery.

Daniel Stern, a former poster to this NG had outlined a procedure to perform this test. Perhaps it is on allpar.com?

-KM

Reply to
KirkM