91 GC Code 41

Kept getting code 41 (alternator field problem). Battery was old so changed it out but that didn't fix problem. Removed alternator (what a bitch of a job), had it checked at Pep Boys and alternator was producing power but bearings were shot so decided to get a remanned one. While alternator was out, was able to get at tensioner bolt and changed tensioner. Yesss! New alternator in and working for a week and then.......code 41 again. Checked with voltmeter and have 14.4v with engine running.

So, I suspected problem with PCM. Found exact replacement PCM on ebay for $59. I know this PCM isn't programmmed with my VIN. Is there anything that could cause me problems by swapping out PCM's? Thanks you guys for all your help out there.

Ken

Reply to
dprkk

I don't think that the SBEC (PCM) was even flashable in 1991. Using Google, it appears that they weren't flashable until 1992 at the earliest, but probably actually 1994 (see following):

Your "field circuit" problem could be anywhere in the circuit and could be a bad wire or bad connection. See this:

Steve N.

Steve, Thanks for your info. For two days now, no code 41. It has to be a bad connection or intermittant somewhere. Right now everything is working. I guess I'll have to wait for a hard failure. Ken

Reply to
Ken Kose

The Automatic Shutdown Relay powers the alternator field could be a problem there -- next time the alternator stops charging, tap the relay see if it starts charging

steve

Reply to
SteveFitz

Actually ,the schematic shows that the ASR powers the fuel pump, the fuel rail, heated oxygen sensor, and pin 8 of the SBEC. I don't readily see any connection to the alt. field circuit.

Steve N.