Carb cleaner or Brake clean

I'm putting my engine back together from doing the heads. I'd like to know what is best for cleaning all the mating surfaces like heads to block, water pump to block. Is Carb cleaner or brake clean any good or do they leave a film? Also is acetone or mineral spirits any better to use.

Reply to
Murf 013

If there is something else to use please let me know.

Reply to
SweetManTo

Lacquer thinner on a rag is the cats ass. Dodgeboy

Hard > I'm putting my engine back together from doing the heads. I'd like to know what

Reply to
dodgeboy

that's true of brake cleaner; carb cleaner is supposed to leave some lubricant behind, which I would expect to be just what you *don't* want in this situation. I've used mineral spirits until it was as clean as I could get it, then a wipe with brake cleaner, with success.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

--

Reply to
Mike Behnke

The last can I actually bought listed MEK as well.

Yep, which is a lot less agressive at getting into your tissues and causing problems than MEK or Toluene, and although bad to breathe isn't nearly AS bad to breathe. And its not flammable (but does release phosgene if sprayed into a flame... so DON'T DO THAT! :-) whereas the others are highly flammable.

Reply to
Steve

|According to the MSDS from CRC, the California (Green can) version |contains toluene, methanol, acetone and CO2. |

| |The standard (Red can) is basically dry cleaning fluid |(tetrachloroethylene) and CO2 |
) ...where the CO2 is the propellant

Reply to
Rex B

I've used WD40 for 'cleaning' parts and surfaces for years. I've learned from an old salt to let it 'dry' off before doing any work after using it. It's worked for me, but if your in a pinch, try using alcohol on metal only. I don't fix stuff 'right now'. Personally, 'I'll fix no car in your time'.. But, I don't let cars out of my shop that don't work. Guaranteed.

Ric

Reply to
Ric