Carb clean

Does anyone know of a good additive for gas that cleans the inner parts and orifices of a carburetor? eg. old gas varnish

Reply to
Merv

Mike Walsh

Chevron Techron. If that doesn't work, get a bucket of "carb dip" and a rebuild kit and do it right.

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

I have never seen any that had any effect on a carb that was having dirt or buildup issues. Maybe as a preventative thing, but usually it is clean time. Kits are not too expensive depending on the carb and are worth putting in. Supposed to be done every major tune up anyway.

The varnish tends to flake off once a disused carb is started back up and the chunks need physical removal and cleaning.

I just opened up a carb on an 82 Jeep CJ7 with only 32K original miles on it for it's first clean and kit job and there was almost 1/4" of rust flakes and varnish flakes in the bottom of the float bowl.

The silly thing was still running too, although I have no idea how come.

Mike

Merv wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The only real cure is disassembly and a good soaking in Berryman's B-9 Chemdip. Install new carb kit, and away you go.

You could try running some Berryman's B12 through it, or Chevron Techron. But they're not very effective compared to disassembly and B-9.

Reply to
Steve