Center Console in Town and Country

The Town and Country has the option of moving the center console from its default location between the two front seats to between the two

2nd row seats. The owners manual points this out clearly. However, I'd like to buy a second one and use both. This isn't covered. Does anyone know if this is possible? This is for a 2002 LXi.
Reply to
Rich Heimlich

Sure this is possible, either a dealer will sell you one or you may possibly find one in a wrecking yard. If you are the dishonest type of person, you could cruise the mall parking lots till you found one.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Interesting final suggestion. I'm not that desperate. The cost of them brand new isn't that bad and it'd allow me to move the current one into the back where kids will beat it up some and put a new one up front.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

Watch e-bay they show up often, buy be careful of shipping. Some people charge much more then others.

Reply to
Kevin

That's what I did, for my 04 T & C Platinum Edition. It works great, but don't expect the interior 12VDC power plug to work in the rear, unless you make some real special arrangements, by wiring up the floor, where it connects. Mine stores the remote and headsets for the DVD Video system, as well as some of my spare camera equipment.

God Bless, Dan'L

Fun to Read:

Dan Larsen

Dan, isn't it supposed to just plug right into the floor connector back there? That connector, unless I didn't see it right, appears to have electrical connectors as part of the snap-in connections.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

I too have an '04 Platinum and it has the 12vDC connection for the moveable center console. We considered getting a second console but since we usually have people in the 3rd seat we didn't think we would use it much because they kids move through the center aisle instead of folding the 2nd row forward.

The Other Chris

Reply to
TheOtherChris

I'm looking for something sturdy to put in the back of my 2002 Town and Country LXi (I believe it has the longer cab and rear air) that will work well for skiing use where we'd be putting dirty, snow-covered ski boots on top of it and other gear.

What's being used out there that works? I've seen several on websites but wonder if anyone has any personal experience with any of these.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

What ever you do use, be careful that you do not cover the rear air/heater fan grille, in the lower trim panel, on the Right rear side.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Just an update for anyone that might be interested or who searches this topic later:

I ordered a second center console so that I could have one in the front AND one in the middle row. The idea is to store the wireless headphones in the back one along with all the standard kid fare like Gameboy stuff and to give them easy out-of-site power charging capability.

The one thing that wasn't clear from any documentation was if you could have two consoles at the same time. Seemed as if there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't have more than one but again, it wasn't clear.

I hooked both up and both work just fine, though a bit differently. The power on the front console is tied to the battery while the power outlet in the back console is tied to the ignition so it will only be powered while the key is in and turned on.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

Mine didn't work, when I secured it in place, the first time, but since you mentioned it, I went out to the shop, and checked it out, and found, as was posted today, that the damn thing is wired through the ignition switch, and power goes off, when you switch the ignition off, contrary to the front console, which is wired for battery direct, full-time power access. Thanx for correcting me, however. I just threw the darned thing in there, and grabbed a power cord, for a video camera, or a cooler, and checked to see if the power indicator lights came on. They didn't, so I just assumed the electrical hook up was not functional --- another reason why MoPar is My Car! Always has been, and probably always will be.

God Bless, Dan'L

Fun to Read:

Dan Larsen

That was my thinking AT FIRST. In fact, I had a bit of an oddity going on. The console came LOCKED with the key assembly outside the console but the directions INSIDE the console. Didn't matter as the key assembly isn't mentioned in the directions anyway. I just took a chance and got it right and then read the directions. It then mentioned that the console spots on the floor share duty with the two power outlets on next to the dash cup-holder and since each of those acts differently, I then assumed each of these would. I then turned on the ignition switch and, presto, power!

Now I need to find out why the after-arket DVD player isn't working, get the cargo mat for the rear (due Friday) and add the splash guards, also due Friday. The oddity with the DVD player is that this van also came with an after-market VCR which I have NO use for (no longer even own a single video except my wedding video which I doubt anyone would want to watch, let alone watch during a long trip). It appears everything seems to be tied in through it. It's some no-name AEW device (at least I've never heard of AEW) and the DVD Player, a Blaupunkt, won't even power on. The wireless headphones which I thought came with the van appear to have come with the AEW setup. Confusing mess right now. I'd love to rip out the full-sized VCR but if everything is running through it, that could result in my needing to spend a lot of money to get an entirely new setup.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

I have been running 2 consoles for almost 3 years in my 2001. Great for travel. The rear one only works with key on so your kids do not plug in an accessory that uses power and not tell you. Then you leave the van for a few days and you can't start it when you come out.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr