Help needed with Flasher Module Replacement and Center Console

I'm having problems with my turn signals/flashers on a 2002 A6 3.0. I spoke to the dealer service manager who told me that it was probably the flasher module. I purchased a new flasher module at a parts store and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I don't generally do a lot of automoitive work, but this one *seemed* to be iwthin my capabilities. Google searches have led me to believe that this is in the center console. So now, I'm stuck. The flasher appears to be behind the flasher button on the top of the center console, and I've figure out that the top wood panel pops off. Under that are the unit on the left for the ESP switch, with two empty switch covers on either side, the flasher switch in the middle, and the cup holder on the right. At either end are two screws. Can anyone tell me if I'm headed in the right direction and/or if I need to remove these to get to where I want to be? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reply to
Bill Schmitt

I have the same (intermittent) problem on my A6, though haven't yet got round to buying a replacement module.

There's a very helpful article, with photographs, at

Hope it helps,

Peter

Reply to
Peter H

Thanks, Peter. That helped a lot. The module I had picked up at the local car parts store was not right (bringing it back tomorrow). I called Audi and it was $25.20 for the correct module which is the whole unit including the flasher switch on the front. The article you pointed to suggested it could be cleaned, but I was unsuccessfult figuring out how to do that or how to get it back together and Audi had it in stock, so I just did that (with the older flasher plugged in for temporary use; if I tapped it when the flashers stopped, it worked again for 5 or 6 flashes). Also, once I pulled it apart, I didn't appear that it was going to be all that cooperative going back together. The directiions to take it out were right on the money, except that I couldn't grab it with needlenose pliers. I simply pried it out with a screwdriver a little at a time from both sides and it pulled straight out once it was out about 1/2 inch. From starting to pull it out to putting the replacement in took about 2 minutes total. I haven't quite got the wood trip back perfectly (I did it in the dark so I'll look at it more closely later).

Thanks again! I now have fully functional signals and feel a whole lot safer.

Bill

"Peter H" wrote:

Reply to
Bill Schmitt