Changing Thermostat - 2000 Town&Country van -- Questions

Greetings; I'm about to change the thermostat in my 2000 T&C, 3.8L. What is the factory recommended temp setting? What do most of the Do-it-yourself people use, if different from the factory spec? Are there any tricks to make the job go easier? Does anyone have any experience with fail-safe thermostats that open up when they die, instead of close?

The van runs great in summmer, never a problem with the temp but now it takes a long time to warm up. My guess is the thermostat is stuck open.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. Also - thanks for all the fine people in this group that have provided replies to my Van troubles in the past.

Gary J. -- Atlanta -- It even gets cold here.

PS. I just changed the rear brake shoes on the van after

97,000 miles. A relatively easy job but -- I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED IN THE ENGINEERING / DESIGN of the rear brake system. Ancient technology. But that's the subject of another posting.
Reply to
Gary Jablonski

maxpower

195 degree.

195 degree. Do not substitute a lower temperature thermostat.

Make sure you have the correct thermostat gasket on hand.

Use one if you want; thermostats seldom fail. My preference is for the Stant "SuperStat" heavy-duty design. Always pan-test your new thermostat by forcing a piece of twine between the valve and the body so the spring-loaded valve poppet grips the twine, tying the other end of the twine to a pencil and suspending the stat in water in a pan on the stove so the stat is not touching the pan. Using a kitchen thermometer, verify that the stat begins to open at close to the rated temperature.

Certainly possible.

You got 97k miles out of the rear brakes, you changed them easily, and yet you're disappointed because...? "Ancient technology" isn't a reason; what is your specific disappointment?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yes, I had that happen to my Caravan, 3L, 1996. It was hard getting heat in the winter and the temperature guage seldom got up to running temperatures. One of the sides which hold the spring failed causing the thermostat to stay open all the time. Replacement was easy, BUT remember to remove some of the coolant to a level below the height of the thermostat or you'll have antifreeze pouring out of the engine as you take the old one off. Carl

Reply to
Carl Baron