Chrysler Cirrus heater not working

I have a 1996 Chrysler Cirrus with a 2.4 engine and the heater does not work. Once the engine has reached it's normal operating temperature and I attempt to use the heater, there is an initial hot/warm air coming thru in any selected position (floor, floor/vent, vent, etc) but it will gradually turn into cool/cold air within 10 seconds or so. The A/C works properly in the car and it is true cold air. Also I want to mention that the defroster light does not light up but the defroster works.

It is getting cold in the mornings where I live and I need to find a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to
elloco1

Perhaps you have a bad thermostat ... there is heat as long as the car is idling or moving slowly but the engine cools off when moving at regular speeds so you have no heat. If that's not the case, perhaps you have a bad or clogged heater core.

Reply to
Walter

Usually caused by restricted flow in the heater core. If yours has a water valve that might not be opening all the way, or just built up crud in the heater core, you should try disconnecting the heater hoses from the engine block (when the car is cold) and flushing the core with a garden hose, both directions.

Sometimes this happens when people flush their cooling systems espically with the chemical flushes which are great for removing scale and such and sending it into the small passages in the heater core (and radiator) If you ever do a chemical flush after you do the purge/deactivation cycle you need to backflush the rad and heater core separately.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

It is getting cold in the mornings where I live and I need to find a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The thermostat is new and the temperature is normal. I will also check the temperature while the car is idling to see if there is a difference. I think that the problem could be in the heater core as it was mentioned. I will definitely flush the system and hope that it cures the problem.

I know some cars have bleeding valves for the cooling system (Nissans, BMW, etc) but I did not see anything like that in the car nor the manual.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
elloco1

Based on what you say, I'd look for an obstruction in either the hot water flow to/through the heater core OR a problem with the air flow over the heater core and into the vehicle. I am not familiar with this car, but have fixed a couple of other Chrysler Minivans that had problems with the vacuum controlled valve in the heater line near the firewall and the interior "blend" door that changes alignment based on the control settings for either heat or A/C.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks for all the suggestions provided and I'm happy to say that the problem is fixed. The heater core was clogged. I first tried the regular flow flush with a water hose and very little water came out of the other end, then I decided to do a reverse flow and everything cleared. I have replaced heater cores on BMWs before and those are nothing compared to all the things that needed removal just to get to the heater core on this car.

Again, thanks for all the input.

It is getting cold in the mornings where I live and I need to find a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to
elloco1

That's silly, why did you do that? I told you to disconnect the heater hoses at the block and do the flush through them. You don't need to disassemble everything to get to the heater core to flush it. You only need to do that if your removing and replacing the core.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

It is getting cold in the mornings where I live and I need to find a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ok, let me clarify that statement. I did not remove anything but looked thru the radio hole and read the manual for a worst case scenario just in case it needed removal. Thanks God it did not need removal because it would had been time consuming and your suggestion saved me a lot of time and pain!!! ;-)

Thanks for the help

Reply to
elloco1